Thursday, July 3, 2008

3 July 2008

Happy 4th of July from the nation's Capitol!!

This past week has been one of the greatest weeks of my mission. So much good has happened and I feel that the Lord has taught me much through the special experiences that I have had.

This past Sunday Jade was baptized! It was one of the quickest processes to baptism that I have been a part of. We met, taught, and baptized her within 3 weeks. Her baptism was beautiful, and like most singles' wards, we had great support from the ward. I love the YSA's of the church and I admire their desire to bring others to Christ. It was a beautiful thing to watch Jade be baptized. She has been through awful trials, but I know that the Lord loves her and desires for her to come back to Him. She will be confirmed this next Sunday. Sisters Cardoso, Baxter, and I performed the song "This is the Chirst". The spirit was strong and hearts were filled.

Later that night we put on a musical fireside for the ward to bring friends to. We had the fireside at the Institute building and the theme was the Restoration. We used a song to portray each principle of the lesson and added a few testimonies here and there. The members of the ward were the performers and I was amazed with the talent in our ward! A few of the members composed or arranged music to fit the principle they had been given. When we had brought up the idea to have a musical fireside, the ward was somewhat hesitant because they weren't sure if anyone would come. We prayerd hard that it would be a success and that it would help us develop better relations with the ward...and sure enough God answered our prayers. Many people came to support and brought their friends. The Lord blessed us with a strong spirit as each performer bore testimony through music and the spoken word. After the fireside we had delicious refreshments specially made for such a special event. Everyone kept asking when the next fireside will be. It was a great success and we even received a new investigator. We were so happy! Our relationships with the ward members and with our bishop were strengthened and we felt such a great love for them. We hope that the missionaries and the members will continue the musical fireside as a new tradition for the ward.

A few days ago we went to the temple to attend the endowment and sealing of a young woman that Sister Baxter taught at the beginning of her mission. Words cannot express the feelings felt that day. We arrived early at the temple and decided to do some initiatories before the session. I had a very special experience as I performed initiatories. The endowment was beautiful and the sealing was incredible. As we sat together in the sealing room to watch them be sealed my heart felt overwhelmed. The moment that the sealer sealed them as an eternal family I knew that the work I have done and will do as a missionary is important, but the work that I will do with my husband and children is of most importance. I knew that there is no greater work to do. I feel that the mission has better prepared me to do that which is of most importance, love and serve my husband and children.

Today is the last P-day of the transfer and is Sister Baxter's last P-day altogether. I will miss her dearly. She has changed my life as we have served together. She has become a forever friend. I am grateful that we will be with those we love forever. It will be hard to see all those sisters whom I came out with leave, but I know that there is still so much work to do and so much to learn within my last transfer.

My heart is full and I am so grateful to be serving.

All my love, Sister Hogge

No comments: