Thursday, July 31, 2008

31 July 2008

My wonderful family and friends!!!

This past week has been absolutely fantastic! My heart is so full I think it just might burst. We have seen countless miracles this week. I really feel that through all the miracles the Lord is showing me why He still needs me here an extra transfer.

Miracle #1 - Veronica has accepted to be baptized August 17th. She has become so much more converted to the gospel and is still a little hesitant about baptism, but she will be fine. We plan to help her with her main concerns at the end of the week. She is so good and she loves God so much. She really wants to do what is right, but it's a struggle to break away from tradition and from being comfortable.

Miracle #2 - We got a phone call from some elders in the Baltimore mission telling us about Danella. They have been teaching her for a few weeks and she has come to church 7 times! But recently they found that she is not in their ward or mission boundaries! Danella is from Brazil (perfect for Sister Garre) and she loves the gospel! She has already been taught many of the lessons. She was introduced to the church by a friend and has loved it from the beginning. Last night the elders had their last appointment with her before they would pass her on to us. They called us just after the appointment last night and told us that she set her own baptismal date for August 17th! We were thrilled! We have talked to her many times on the phone and are excited to finally meet her. Tender mercy from the Lord!

Miracle #3 - We finally had an appointment with David. We've had a few appointments with David before but he never showed, so this was his last chance. We found him and GQ'd him right in front of his apartment building when I was with Sisters Baxter and Cardoso. In order to meet in his home we had to have another woman with us. So, we invited a senior sister, Sister Kearns. They live in the same apartment building as David. When we got to the senior sisters' apartment to finalize the lesson we found that there would be a brand new senior sister also coming with us, Sister Ellis, and that this would be her first lesson. I prayed so hard that David would be home so Sister Ellis could have a good experience. When we walked out of their apartment to find David's apartment, we found that he lived right next door to them and he was home, thank you Heavenly Father! We taught a beautiful first lesson. At first David didn't seem too focused, but once we began teaching about the Restoration with Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon, he completely changed. The Spirit was so incredibly strong! A light came into his eyes. Sweet Sister Ellis shared her conversion story and we were all deeply touched. At the end of the lesson we all knelt in prayer and invited David to pray. In his prayer he thanked Heavenly Father for bringing us to him. He told Heavenly Father that he wasn't expecting any of this and that he was so happy. We invited him to prepare for baptism on August 17th. When we returned to the senior sisters' apartment the sweet senior sisters wept together and all of our hearts were filled. There is nothing like this work. I feel like Ammon in Alma 26 "this is my life and my joy".

There were many other miracles that happened this week...too many to list. "I cannot say the smallest part that I feel". I have never felt this way and I'm so grateful that I stayed to witness the Lord's hand in my life and in the lives of others. We have been the answers to so many prayers this week. I always want to be an instrument in the Lord's hands and I always want to feel this way. Thankfully, we have made special covenants with our Heavenly Father to help us always feel this way. Thank you for your prayers. I can feel the strength of your prayers and love. I am so happy.

All my love, Sister Hogge

No comments: