Thursday, May 1, 2008

1 May 2008

Happy May!

The blossoms have almost all fallen and withered away. I will miss the blossoms. For training meeting at the VC this past week we had a tour around the temple grounds. The workers have created a Garden of Eden. It is breathtaking. We also had a tour of our new exhibit about President Hinckley. The Proctor, who are the owers of Meridian Magazine, have followed President Hinckley all around the world. They put the exhibit together and shared touching stories and background information on many of the pictures. I love President Hinckley. I grew up gaining a testimony of the reality of living prophets while he was prophet. It's a wonderful exhibit that will open doors to teach the gospel to those who come in.

Gus Gus is still around. I don't know what to do. It's become some what the joke of the mission. How many sister missionaries does it take to kill one mouse? Obviously more than four! We put new mouse traps up, for a grand total of 4 in the apartment, and still didn't catch him. However, we also hadn't seen signs of him for the last two days and hoped that he was gone. But to our dismay we saw him this morning while we were cleaning the apartment. I don't know why I always get to be the one who sees him. He is probably staying around because he is being fed so well...I guess he did look a little more plump than what I had remembered. Anyway, hopefully by the time I write next week Gus Gus will be dead.

This week has been filled with more miracles. I am really learning what it means to pray with faith. Roland is doing incredibly well. We taught him this past week about the gospel of Jesus Christ. We taught him in our awesome ward mission leader's home (Brother Poulsen). The spirit touched all of our hearts including Roland's. He is excited to be baptized within the next month or so. Unfortunately he may have to begin working on Sundays for a month or two. So...we (along with the Poulsens) have all decided to fast and pray with him this Sunday. During the lesson I was surprised that he never argued about priesthood authority. The spirit is getting to him and his heart is changing. Seeing the change is the more rewarding feeling a missionary can feel.

Because of the many amazing experiences I've had this past week I have felt impressed to invite you, my lovely family (and friends) to commit to do two things that will bring an added measure of the Spirit into the home and into your lives: First, pray more miracles and to be aware of the people around. Pray for opportunities to perform small acts of kindness, then act. Second, invite the missionaries to teach their investigators in your home. There is a great spirit in a member's home and less distractions for the investigator. I promise you that as you do these things you will see miracles and the Spirit will be strong. I'm grateful that we can be connected in this work!

We met with our Bishop this past Sunday to discuss the needs of the ward. Sister Mukhlaash and I made a goal to meet mire less-actives this week. The Lord has helped us do so. My heart has been filled with so much love for these people. I have felt a small portion of Heavenly Father's love for them. On Monday we met with Sister Chapin, a less-active, and her two boys were there ages 17 and 19. They are also somewhat less-active. By the end of the visit I was in tears pleading with them to come back to church, to show their gratitude for their Savior. It was a sweet experience. Emotions were strong and I knew that they had incredible potential. They committed to begin coming to church again.

As I have worked to forget myself in the work this week I have been humbled to see the Lord's hand in my life and in the lives of others. I would love to serve a full-time mission forever, but I also know that there is a time and a season for everything. I love you all and I pray for you. I pray that we can all forget ourselves in building the Lord's kingdom. I have been reading "Our Heritage" and I have felt great strength from our brothers and sisters who had laid the foundation of this great work. They sacrificed and as a result they were blessed.

May the Lord continue to bless all of you.

With Love, Sister Hogge

No comments: