Thursday, May 8, 2008

8 May 2008

My dearest family and friends...

So, I have a binder that I like to fill with all of the many wonderful letters from you. Lately it's been looking a little sparse. I'm still here and I would love to hear from you. Mom and Dad, thanks for your loyalty.

This past week we went to our annual baseball game! Go Nationals! They have actually been doing really well this year, which is a big change from last year. They played the Pirates, once again. Last year's game they played the Pirates as well (and they lost). This year the Nationals won! Woohoo! They have a brand new stadium! It's the coolest thing I've every seen! The Metro entrance/exit goes right into the staduim. I had so much fun being with the rest of the mission. I felt a lot more comfortable this year. Last year I was so uncomfortable throughout the entire game. I guess I've gotten used to the world through missionary glasses. And...I actually watched the game this year. It was an exciting game. It was fun to see President and Sister Mansell at the game. This was their first baseball game as missionaries. President had his game face on the entire game, while Sister Mansell was bouncing around from missionary to missionary taking pictures and trying on baseball hats. It was cute. I would have to say that the highlight of the whole experience was sweet Sister Mukhlaash! She was hilarious! She was soooooo EXCITED!! The crowd would start cheering or clapping and she would join right in even though she had absolutely no idea what was going on. She tried her first baseball game hotdog and nachos! She thought they were delicious. I think she's pretty much Americanized! She is really getting used to the food. Her favorite thing to eat is white bread, spread butter (which I recently introduced her to and she is hooked) and jam (thanks for sending the jam mom). She will take at least 5 pieces of bread and load 'em up with butter and jam. She also recently began enjoying chicken pot pies. I love Sister Mukhlaash. It has been a fun adventure! She is doing well and is continually progressing. Her English is getting so good!!

This last weekend Elder Child had to leave town with Sister Child for a few days and the day after they left there was a fire at the VC! I guess a light fell on one of our theaters and completely burned a few chairs through and a huge hole in the carpet. It was so sad! Luckily, the VC is still okay and there will only be one theater out of commission for a few weeks. I wasn't at the VC when it happened, but I hear that it was quite the adventure. Four firetrucks, many firemen...the VC had to be completely evacuated. The Lord's work continues to move forward.

A few updates...Brooke will be getting baptized this Sunday. We are so excited and she is somewhat nervous, which is expected. She will be a wonderful member of the church. We're still working to get Roland baptized as soon as possible. He is so ready, but he may have to work on Sundays for the next few weeks. He knows that it is wrong, but he assurred us that it will only be a few weeks. We hope he won't have to work on Sunday at all, but the Lord will provide. Marlene, our sweet Jamaican woman who we were planning to be baptized by the end of the month, had to move back to Jamaica suddenly. She was having problems with her boss and had to pick up and leave. We were so sad, but we have her address in Jamaica and will be sending the missionaries to teach and baptize her there. She continues to read the Book of Mormon every day. We love her and we will miss her.

The Floyds are doing fantastically good! We love them so much. We had a powerful new member lesson with them this last week. We could tell that there was much on Greg's mind. I think he has felt a bit of pressure to receive the priesthood. We shared Enos' experience Enos 1:4-8 and it was as if a burden completely lifted from his shoulders. We could see a light come back into his face. He is a wonderful man and father. I'm sure it's difficult to completely change your life, but he is doing so well. Please continue to keep them in your prayers.

The work continues to carry on! I have felt great urgency in the work. May the Lord bless you. I love you all.

Love, Sister Hogge

No comments: