Thursday, April 24, 2008

24 April 2008

My most fabulous family and friends...

It has been a week of miracles. Miracles, miracles, miracles! I have learned much about miracles this past week. First, we must expect miracles in the Lord's work. Second, we must do our part, pray and work hard for the miracle, and recognize the miracle. Third, we must thank our Father in heaven for the miracles He has so graciously given to us. I have seen that most of the time the miracle comes after the trial of our faith. The saying is so true, "Pray like everything depends on the Lord, and then work like everything depends on you!"

A few updates... Brook was supposed to be baptized this Saturday, however, because of the craziness with her parents move to another home (within the ward's boundaries, thank goodness) Sister Ripley (her mom) has asked if we could move the baptism back. I felt great peace about her decision because I had been feeling like it was too rushed. Anyway, they have decided to have the baptism on Mother's Day, which is coming up soon. It will be a memorable Mother's Day indeed.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned Roland yet. We found Roland while we were checking on a less-active. Roland's brother, Walter, is a less-active member of the church. We began teaching Walter and found Roland in the process. At first, Roland wasn't very interested, but he softened up pretty quick! We have been teaching him for about three weeks. He attended General Conference and has come to church twice. He is progressing well, but has concerns with our focus on authority. He is Catholic and has some pretty strong opinions. Bottom line, we've taught him the facts about the authority being lost, and now he needs to find out for himself. He is a good young man. He loves the church and especially loved his experience at church with all of the kind members. They fellowship like nothing else! It's great! We made a goal with Roland to be baptized on May 17th. I'm excited to see how it goes.

A member brought a friend she met on the street to church this past Sunday...Marlene White is a sweet Jamaican woman who loved the Lord. She has had contact with our church before in Jamaica. We began teaching her Monday, the day after we met her. I am excited to see how she will progress. She already loves the Book of Mormon... and why not? It is another testament of our Savior, if only more people gave it a chance. We have missionary-minded members in the ward. Oh, how I love them so.

This past week I had been praying to find a family to teach... and we met Joan and her six children, ages 16 to 7. My prayers were answered and the Lord led us to her. We were leaving a member's home and Joan was outside with her children sweeping her porch. I am grateful for my Heavenly Father and His perfect concern for His children. Joan is from Ghana and lived in Brooklyn or many years as well. We taught her yesterday and it was a beautiful lesson. The Lord knows Joan and He loves her. I could feel His love for her as we taught her. She is very poor, and has almost nothing, but she has her children. She provides well for them and loves them more than anything. She wants them to begin going to church. I love humble people, they are so prepared. It reminds me of the stories in the Book of Mormon. Most of the people converted to the Lord were the humble people. Humility is essential for conversion and to know our Savior.

Another highlight of the week was the opportunity to attend a YSA fireside with Roland with the speakers being Elders Cook (of the Twelve) and Tiney. They were in DC on assignment with Elder Ballard, who was attending a different fireside, to meet with the Pope. I know that they are men called of God. I could feel it as I listended to them. Elder Tiney spoke of marriage and Elder Cook spoke of being a light unto the world. My heart is full of gratitude for their love and sacrifice.

We had zone conference again this week. The focus was quiet dignity as a representative of Jesus Christ, and working with members. PMG Chapters 9, 13, and Lesson 5. I love what I learn from my leaders. It has been fun to watch many of the missionaries and even President Mansell, grow into the leadership positions they have been given. The Lord qualifies all of us to do His work. He could do a much better job, but we need the experiences.

The VC is as wonderful as ever! I love serving the sisters. I love them so much. I can't imagine a life without having met them. The temple grounds are exquisite! I have never seen anything so beautiful. All I know is that Heavenly Father must have Dogwood Trees in the Celestial Kingdom.

A few thoughts... "The currents that determine our dreams and shape our lives flow from the attitude we nurture each day." "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine." Proverbs 17:22

I hope that you are all finding opportunities to reach out to people around you and to invite others to come unto Christ. We have a great responsibility and I pray that we will follow the example of our Savior. I love serving Him because I have come to know Him better. We are so blessed. May the Lord bless you.

With Love, Sister Hogge

No comments: