Thursday, May 22, 2008

15 May 2008

My dearest family and friends,

It felt so good to talk with my family on Sunday. The entire time I just couldn't stop think (and saying) "I just love my family so much!" The time flew by and I felt like nothing had changed. I pray everyday that my sweet family will be kept safe from physical and spiritual danger. I also pray that they will continue to make wise decisions that will keep us together forever. I have always been blessed with a supportive family and I am grateful. I am also grateful for a family who knows how to keep their missionaries focused...that means so much to me.

The work is booming here in Quince Orchard. We hardly have enough time for all of the many things we desire to do in our area, but I have been reminded that this work is the Lord's and He always provides a way for us to accomplish what He needs done. The VC has also begun to get busy. Tourists and families are beginning to make their way to the VC. Summer time is always busy and I love it! I feel grateful to be kept so busy because it keeps my mind on the work. As grateful as I am for my family, I will have them forever, but this time to work 24-7 for the Lord is so precious and should be treated as sacred.

Brooke was baptized on Mother's Day. It was a beautiful and simple baptism. She wanted it to be a small baptism as she was somewhat nervous. It ended up being much bigger than we expected, but it was even better because of all of the support. I was impressed with many of the ward members who attended, even on Mother's Day. We have an awesome ward. The members are so dedicated to building the kingdom. Brooke was both baptized and confirmed by her step father, Brother Burke. All of Brooke's elder and non member siblings attended the baptism. I spoke on baptism and Sister Mukhlaash spoke about the gift of the Holy Ghost. It was great to have so many non members attending and I specifically geared by remarks towards them, and Brooke, of course. The Spirit was very strong. Brooke and Sister Burke asked me to sing, and I sang "I Know That My Redeemer Lives". It was a baptism beautifully focused on the Savior and on families. We are excited for Brooke's progression in the church.

Roland is doing so well!! He wasn't able to come to church on Sunday because of work and he won't be able to come for the next few weeks, but he is still doing so well! He knows that he needs to be at church, but it's a difficult situation. We're staying close to him during the week in the meantime. Yesterday we had a lesson with him and asked him about priesthood authority. I was somewhat nervous because it's always been a touchy subject. However, to our surprise, he told us that he believes that Joseph Smith is a prophet and because he believes he is a prophet, of course he would believe that the priesthood authority was restored through him. I was amazed!! I don't know when it changed for Roland, but he has become so converted and I am so grateful. He will be baptized on June 14th.

On Sunday in our Gospel Principles class I noticed a woman that we hadn't met before. Her name was Asetia and when I realized who she was I was so surprised! Asetia was on our potential investigators list and we had been trying to set an appointment with her for two weeks. I didn't even know that she knew where the church was located. After talking with her we found that she had investigated many times previously. Once eight years ago in Kensington and once two years ago in this area. She said that she had really struggled because she was Muslim. However, after much prayer, she has decided to get baptized as a member of the church. She told us that whenever she wouldn't come to church or she would stop praying she would feel awful, but the peace would always come back when she would do these simple things. Her conversion also has come by watching other members of the church. She told us that this is the only church in which the members live what they know and teach. It is so important for us to be a light unto the world! So, Asetia will also be baptized on June 14th and until them we will be teaching/reviewing all the lessons and commitments with her. Miracles, miracles!! She has a beautiful family and I'm excited to see her progression.

As you can tell life is good. I'm learning to bloom where I have been planted and to live in the present. I have seen countless blessings from my experiences here in Quince Orchard.

My prayers are always with you. I pray that we will continue living what we teach and believe. We are examples to the people around us and to the world. I love my Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. I know that They want us to be happy...so let's be happy!

All my love, Sister Hogge

No comments: