Hello dearest family and friends,
I'm sorry that's it's taken me so long to write this week. Myldsmail wasn't working on P-day and we weren't at the VC until today, Friday. I have so much to tell you!
Happy June = welcome humidity! We have been experiencing some crazy weather! Three days in a row we had awful thunderstorms. The rain was so heavy we couldn't see as we drove or as we walked...it was so fun! Walking around in the rain getting soaked from head to foot was my favorite part of the whole experience. We loved it! The lightning was beautiful and huge! The thunder was loud. We also had a tornado warning for a while, it was crazy! I love storms and people feel bad for us when they see us soaked, so it's usually easier to get into the homes.
Recently, Sister Baxter and I began running with Sister Snelson. We want to get in shape. There is a track next to the apartment. After I ran the first day I was dead! I'm definitely not a runner, but it must be done! The next day we did lunges around the track. I have never been so sore in my entire life...it's somewhat embarrassing.
Serving with Sisters Cardoso and Baxter has been heaven for me! Our first day in the new area we went to Institute and I have never felt so awkward in my life! I guess that awkwardness really is a choice. Anyway, Sister Baxter and I had a bit of a breakdown, we're really just overly dramatic. Once we went to church on Sunday we felt much better. I love serving in singles' wards...YSA's are the best missionaries. I feel that finishing my service as a full-time missionary in a singles' ward is a tender mercy from the Lord.
A few details about the area...I am completely surrounded by Africans (and many other different nationalities)!! AND I LOVE IT! Serving in PG County is completely different from where I have previously served. I am definitely the only white girl around, besides Sister Baxter. The Africans are amazing people, they love God and they have a sincere desire to follow Him, which makes missionary work much easier. Coming into the area we had basically no investigators. I remember how difficult it was to find in the singles' ward. In DC 2nd we found through the members. Other missionaries have asked us what we're doing to find...and we're just doing it the old fashioned way TALK TO EVERYONE and ask for referrals because so many people know of YSA friends who need purpose and direction, and that's what we're prepared to give! In this area the missionaries usually find 1 to 3 new investigators every week, whereas this past week we found 13!! The Lord is truly blessing us. We trust in the Lord because we know that we cannot find on our own and He always puts someone in our path to talk to and to invite. I have never seen so many finding miracles in one week, it has been an incredible experience.
We are currently teaching a former investigator named Joanna. Sister Baxter taught Joanna when she served in this same area over a year ago. Joanna has been progressing incredibly fast and has a baptismal date for June 28th. She is a sweetheart and her heart has been softened and is now prepared, a year later, to make and keep her commitments. We are excited for her progress. We are working to get our new investigators also progressing...cross your fingers.
Serving again with Sister Baxter has been the greatest joy of my mission. When we first served together I felt the Lord shaping me and my heart truly changed. I learned about perspective, patience, pure motives, and love. Now I feel that I am being shaped even more into the missionary that I have always wanted to be. Together as a companionship we are learing about faith, diligence, sacrifice, service and charity. My heart is so full. The Lord has been so good to Sister Cardoso, Sister Baxter, and me.
I am happy and having the time of my life! Hope all is well with you. My prayers are always with you. Thank you for the continued support and love... even this old missionary needs it!
All my love, Sister Hogge
Friday, June 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment