Wednesday, June 18, 2008

18 June 2008

Dear family and friends,

Earlier today Sisters Baxter, Cardoso, and I along with a senior couple, the Worltons, went to Great Falls. It's a beautiful spot on the Potomac River where there are 80 foot falls. I felt like I was on vacation. It was so beautiful! I was in jeans, the air was fresh, the sky was blue, I could have been camping in Van Damme, complete paradise...pefect weather...which is a blessing with the crazy weather we've been having lately. These next few P-days are going to be packed with fun activities before Sister Baxter takes off back to England. We just have to live it up and have fun doing the Lord's work.

I have some exciting updates...
We found Joanna! We hadn't had contact with her for about 2 weeks, which can seem like an eternity for missionaries. Her phone hadn't been working. She is doing incredibly well. We met with her last night. She is still excited to be baptized and her family, especially her Grandma, has been supporting her. The support from her family is crucial because she really needs the family support. She is very close to her family. The spirit was so strong last night and we talked about remembering our Savior every day during sacrament meeting. We love her and we know that Heavenly Father needs us to stick with her.

Jade (pronounced Jaw-day) is also doing well. She continues to progress. When we last met with her we talked about the gospel of Jesus Christ. She mentioned that when she was baptized into her current church life was just the same, no peace. However, now she has already been feeling peace and comfort from her decision to be baptized. She talked about the importance of authority. She seems very hurt from things that have happened in the past. We continually try to help her stay positive and optimistic, it is a choice. We have already seen miraculous changes in Jade. One of the greatest joys of serving a mission is to see the Atonement mend wounds and heal hearts. She continues to prepare for her upcoming baptism.

Dorothy is one of three siblings from Ghana that we've been teaching. Dorothy, Alfred, and Cecilia are siblings and they love us! Dorothy seems to be progressing much faster than her siblings. She came to church this past Sunday and loved it! She said that this church really helps her know how to apply the gospel to her life. She feels that this church will help her progress, how true. She is so sweet and good to us. We feel at home whenever we visit and teach. Africans are courteous people. We gave her a baptismal date for July 6th.

I received news this past weekend that Asetia was baptized on Sunday. I began teaching Asetia with Sister Mukhlaash in Quince Orchard. I was so happy to hear that everything worked out! It's fun to be united in the Lord's work and as missionaries to just help each other along.

My feelings have been somewhat tender as I have thought about the many, many blessings the Lord has given us. He just pours and pours blessings upon us. I love my companions. We are so united and it makes the work fun and life happy. There is great power in unity. We also feel a great unity in our district. We have a large district of 5 companionships. We all have great respect and love for one another and we've set high goals that we know we can achieve. When we've out all day working hard and feeling exhuasted I just think of the other missionaries in our district and it gives me strength.

I am loving life!

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." Phil. 4:11

With Love, Sister Hogge

No comments: