Wednesday, June 11, 2008

11 June 2008

Dear famiy and friends,

It has been a week full of crazy weather and I LOVE IT!! Lately the weather has been incredibly HOT with high's in the 100's. It's hilarious, we'll be out for 20 minutes and be completely wet and then get into our air conditioned car saying, "That was tough!" sacrifice? I think not...but Heavenly Father always cools us down with a massive thunderstorm. I have never seen thunderstorms like I've seen recently. We've had to drive home from the VC in the horrible weather, but it's fun to watch the lightning...BIG lightning. The thunder shakes the ground! We have decided that thunderstorms are our form of entertainment. Just last night we were driving home from the VC watching the beautiful "light show" and a few miles from our apartment every where we looked was black! We had a huge black out miles around. It was an adventure. Luckily we had one flashlight, one candle, and a book light. I always look forward to the thunderstorms and the adventures they bring. It's exciting for us sheltered missionaries.

Many, many miracles this week...one of which is Jadesola from Nigeria. Her best friend was recently baptized in Sister Baxter's previous area and now Jadesola wants some peace, direction, and change in her own life. She came to church on Sunday and we had our first lesson with her yesterday. She also quit her job yesterday because they wanted her to work on Sundays and she knew that if she wanted to stay close to God she would need to attend church...if only all people had faith such as Jadesola. We gave her a baptismal date yesterday for June 28th. She has had a rough life. Her older brother was recently murdered in DC, very sad. We're excited for her progression. She is humble and "ready to receive".

This past week Eric Steinberg came to the VC for a performance. He was the YSA that I gave a first lesson tour to over a year ago and he was then baptized (in the Baltimore mission) less than two months later, very prepared. (I don't know if you remember his story) It was so good to see him again and to see that he was happy and progressing. I had hoped that he would serve a mission...but he had a beautiful girl on his arm and told me the good news that he was getting married in the temple August 16th and he invited me to the sealing. I was so happy I almost cried...complete joy! My heart is so full. The fruits of this work truly are so sweet. Lydia will be married this month to Brandon and Laura is almost engaged to a member in the DC 2nd singles ward. I am so happy that they are progressing and that they have found true joy.

A few fun stories...The other day we had a Maryland blue crab feast! I was in heaven! I have never eaten such amazing crab! One of the members in the singles' ward wanted to spoil Sister Cardoso for her birthday and decided to give her the complete Maryland experience. We each ate about 10 crabs. I bet it was hilarious for anyone who saw use completely destroying these crabs. I have never been full after eating crab meat, but I was filled! YUM! It was a fun experience and I'm grateful that the members spoil us! We are so blessed! (Mom and Dad you have to try the crab here, it's amazing!) Another story...just yesterday we had our district meeting and we had a guest speaker. He is a YSA and RM from the singles' ward and he is also selling pest control this summer. He came to give us tips on tracting. He gave some really good tips and "techniques." I never thought that I would receive tracting tips from a "bug boy". It was pretty funny.

We are having the time of our lives. It's the perfect trio, a beautiful Brazilian, English woman, and Californian...how could you resist such a trio?! We have seen the hand of the Lord in our lives more than ever. Our faith, hope and optimism has brought many miracles into the work. The Lord is so good to us. We rely on Him and we work hard. Isn't life wonderful?! Recently, I have felt much peace and hope about my future. I have learned that when we are fearful we have no faith. We must always have faith and the Lord will grant us the desires of our hearts. When our desires are purified and when we are full of charity we will want what He wants for us. I know that this is true. Hope all is well with you.

All my love, Sister Hogge

No comments: