Wednesday, January 30, 2008

30 January 2008

Dear family and friends,

It has been a week of miracles in Quince Orchard. I have come from one of the largest areas in the mission (DC 2nd) to one of the smallest areas in the mission. It has been great to focus on such a small area. I feel like I can do so much good. I also feel that I can talk to EVERYONE because there aren't hundreds of people passing by (like in DC). It was always somewhat overwhelming to talk to everyone in the city, as it was often impossible.

Sister Mulford and I are loving life together. We are a lot alike and people say we even look alike. We are both blondes and often have our blonde moments together. She has been a wonderful example to me. I think there is great wisdom in putting an enthusiastic, younger missionary with an older missionary. It has given me great perspective and has helped me stay completely focused. With the new year comes greater resolve to do the Lord's work with singleness of mind and heart. I am learning so much from her and I am grateful that the Lord can teach me through my companions.

Last Wednesday we received a call from Rachel Floyd. She and her family moved to Maryland from Arizona. Rachel has been a member of the Church all her life, but has been inactive since she was a teenager. Just a few months ago she began coming back to church. She called us to tell us that her husband is not yet a member of the church, but would like to begin investigating. I think with the new year and the new move, the family wanted to start all over. We met with them the following Friday to get to know the family. Greg, her husband, has felt so much emptiness in his life and knew that investigating was the right thing to do. They have seen great improvements in their family life and marriage since he has humbled himself and realized his reliance on the Lord. On Monday night we taught him the first lesson for their FHE. They have two beautiful girls, Larissa (15) and Catalina (6). My heart is full of love for the Floyd family. I have really seen how the Lord allows us to feel a small portion of His love for His children. Sister Mulford and I love the Floyd family and want them to receive all the blessings of the restored gospel. Greg will be baptized and they will be able to be sealed together in the temple. This is just one of many miracles we have experience this past week.

We received permission to attend a sealing for some sisters in our ward. They were both converts and were being sealed to their parents. It was a beautiful event. Friday we went to the temple with the VC sisters and then again on Saturday for the ward. While we were waiting for some paper work in the sealing room, the sealer had the people in the room do some work for the dead. The sealer was President Schultz. After each sealing he would ask us questions about the sealing ceremony and then answer the questions in great detail. Sister Mulford and I were so excited to be learning so much about sealings from a sealer. It was a great experience. We also asked him questions. Never before in my life have I felt the great blessings of being born in the covenant as I did that day. There is great significance in being born to parents who have been sealed in the temple. I love temple work and I hope to work in the temple after my mission. I always feel so close to my family inside the temple, even though I'm many miles from home.

It was a bittersweet experience to hear of President Hinckley's death. He will be greatly missed, but he is with his beloved wife and I'm sure he is still working hard. I have grown up with President Hinckley. I think the prophet of your youth will always have a great impact on your testimony and conversion. I'm grateful for modern day revelation.
I love this area and I'm so grateful to have all day, every day to serve the Lord. I feel that this time is so precious and I want to do all I can to faithfully represent my Savior, Jesus Christ and to bring other back to Him. Hope all is well with all of you.

All my love, Sister Hogge

No comments: