My most lovely family and friends,
Hello, from a VERY cold day in DC. The cold is finally starting to kick in and I have a feeling that it will be getting much colder in weeks to come. It reminds me of when I first came into the field almost a year ago. It was very cold then, too. Once again, my toes feel like they might break off. I guess it's just something I will have to get used to. The funny story for this week happened this morning. Sister McEwan and I got up early to do our laundry and wash our car. After Sister McEwan sprayed the car I wanted to begin washing and realized that the water had all frozen to the car! We probably won't be able to wash the car today. It was pretty funny...the ground was also icy from the water sprayed. The joys of missionary service. I'm just grateful that we even have a car!
I feel like we're finally getting back into the normal routine of missionary life. I also feel that I finally feel rested from the days of Festival. Although I have learned that being a missionary is always tiring no matter how much sleep I get. Nevertheless, I am grateful for the eight hours of sleep we're given. Transfers are next week and I have a feeling that I will be leaving. I have been serving in the singles ward now for 6 months and if I leave I will miss it dearly. I love the singles and have grown close to many of them and I have had many special experiences with people I have grown to love. I am so grateful for the blessings the Lord has given me these past 6 months. I feel that I have grown closer to Him.
This week has been somewhat of a trying week. There have been a few down's, but many up's. I have learned the importance of communication and compromise, patience and perspective. We've had to let go of a few investigators, which is always difficult for me because I love them, but I know that the Lord will take care of them while we are away. We have also found many new investigators this week from checking on potential investigators, referrals, and contacting former investigators. It is exciting and if I leave this area I want to leave it thriving. Erica is still scheduled to be baptized and she is progressing well. Her parents have made hotel reservations to come to the baptism. We are grateful that her parents are so supportive of her decision. Not all parents are as supportive. This area truly is the best area to serve. It is somewhat a coveted area. All the missionaries want to serve in the DC 2nd singles ward.
Recently I read an article by President Eyring entitled, "This Day". I am so grateful for his counsel and guidance. I think that I may have mentioned this article in previous emails. I love the promise that President Eyring gives to those who may feel overwhelmed or complacent. "Hard as things seem today, they will be better in the next day, if you choose to serve the Lord this day with your whole heart." As I have made this a theme for how I live as a servant of the Lord, I have felt a greater peace come into my life. As I pray in the mornings I ask the Lord to help me serve Him "this day". At the end of the day I review my day with the Lord, I repent, feel peace, and know that the Lord is pleased with my work. I invite all of you to do the same and to read the article. I am grateful for the scriptures and for modern day revelation that helps me come to know my Savior through experiencing His Atonement.
We have some fun birthday plans for Friday. Mostly, I will be doing missionary work, YEAH! but we will also be going to the city for dinner with Lydia and Brandon. They always spoil us and wanted to treat us for my birthday. I'm excited and I love being with them. They have become some of my closest friends. Lydia hopes to go through the Oakland Temple this October. The joys of missionary service are so sweet.
I love you all and I pray that the Lord will continue to bless you as you "bloom where you're planted" in the stage of life that you are in. I love the peace the gospel brings and I love my Savior.
All my love, Sister Hogge
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment