Thursday, April 5, 2007

5 April 2007

Dearest Family,

I am so happy to hear that Grandpa is doing better. Maureen came into the VC this past week. It was wonderful to see her and to get a hug from mom...but, she also told me that Grandpa was back in the hospital. Although I haven't had much time to think these past few days I was a little worried about Grandpa. I feel comforted now that all is well.

I was transferred yesterday to a new area!! I am in Olney, it is a HUGE area above White Oak East. I have a new companion, Sister Scofield. She is WONDERFUL! I love her soooo much. We are "white washing" Olney. Which means that elders used to live here and now we live here. So, basically we are starting from the beginning. I am excited to have this new experience. One of the assistants was telling me yesterday that the Bishop in this area loves sisters and that they need lots of help with the missionary work. I am definitely up for the challenge! We moved into an elder's apartment and cleaned ALL DAY today!! Boys are soooo gross! Luckily Sister Scofield and I both love to clean and to stay clean! The apartment looks like a different apartment now. When we arrived there were dishes in the sink and food and dishes all over the counters!! Oh well, at least we have a great apartment. I don't know much about Olney, but from what I have seen it is beautiful, clean, and there is lots of country in our area. It's pretty much opposite from my last area. Tomorrow we will get more organized. Bytheway, my P-Days are now on Thursdays.

Conference was AMAZING!!! I especially enjoyed Elder Holland and Elder Uchtdorf's talks. I have never been so inspired and touched as I was this time of conference. There was once a group of turkeys that met together in a barn. One of the turkeys taught the other turkeys how to fly. They were all so excited and flew around the barn excitedly. However, when it was time to go home the turkeys all walked home. I think that's how many members are after conference...think about it.

Lyn came to a session at a member's home with Sister Moorman and Maylek. Afterwards we had dinner...the miracle of fellowshipping. Lyn told us the other day that she didn't want to be baptized. Since then we have helped her with her concerns, these things take time. She is truly searching. We took the metro to the VC with Lyn to watch the Joseph Smith movie. Riding the metro was definitely an experience. It was fun, hot, crowded, crazy, and still fun. When Lyn heard the news that I was being transferred she was hurt and a little angry. I assured her that all would be well.

The Yemens also came to the VC this past week...that was a miracle. Our ride for them canceled 20min. before we were supposed to leave and we had been trying to get them to the VC for the past month. We quickly called everyone in the ward and Sister Willis, the bishop's wife, offered to help. What a blessing...the Lord's tender mercies. Miracles happen and when we do our part we can expect miracles! The experience at the VC with the Yemens was beautiful! Their conversion will take time, but they will be a wonderful and strong family in the church. I will miss them.

We taught Maylek again this past week. He is getting anxious to be baptized. I will miss Sister Moorman and Maylek, but the Lord knows best. I am glad that I can trust the Lord.

6 of the sisters left this last transfer. I had become really close to many of them. I am grateful for reunions and letters. I have learned so much from them and feel blessed to keep learning and growing.

The week was great and hard. I have decided that my new theme for my mission is, "It's true isn't it? Then what else matters?" As a missionary I have promised the Lord to give everything to him. I am living for him and not for myself (2 Cor. 5:15).

Next Thursday I am going to the city with a big group of sisters. We are going for the cherry blossom festival!! I hope that all is well with everyone. There is so much more to say, but my time is up. I love you.

Love, Sister Hogge

p.s. Thank you for the packages! I loved everything!

Elder Child has requested that I maybe sing with Hilly in the show when she comes...I still have to get permission to sing from President, but I'll let you know.

I met someone yesterday who knows Aunt Penny and someone else who went to Folosm High.

No comments: