Thursday, April 26, 2007

26 April 2007

Dearest family and friends,

This past week was great! While working at the VC a younger couple came in and as I greeted them at the door I had absolutely no idea what I was going to share with them. So, I just took them to one of my favorite places in the VC, the Special Witnesses kiosk (the testimonies of the First Presidency and the Twelve). As we stood at the kiosk I still had no idea what they needed. A thought came to mind, simple and clear. I needed to share Elder Eyring's testimony of temples. As I shared his testimony with them they began to cry. They told me of the influence that Elder Eyring has had on their lives and their relationship. They seemed like they were going through a difficult time together. I ended by sharing with them Moroni 7:48. By the end of our visit I still had no idea what I said to help them, but I knew the Lord's words were my words. The Lord was working through me to help them. The man thanked me for being so in tune with the Spirit. These experiences happen quite often. I am a missionary to help bring people to Chirst, non-members and members. Everyone needs to be spiritually fed.

We have been praying for a progressing investigator and this week we began teaching Althea. She is a sweet African-American woman. She has met with the missionaries before, but it just wasn't the right timing for her, I guess. She has many golden questions like, "What happened to the priesthood authority after the last apostle died?" and "How do I know which church is true?" Wow! We love Althea and hope to help her be baptized soon. The Lord is blessing us.

The members in Olney are still wonderful!! We had a member family ask us for a grocery list so they could help with our groceries, yeah, we're pretty spoiled! Cute story: One of the young woman at church on Sunday asked us if it's a rule to wear our hair up. We laughed and decided that this coming Sunday our hair would be down. This last Sunday I sang in church. I sang "I Stand All Amazed" again. That night we had dinner at the Miller's home (members). They are wonderful!! They have Sunday night waffle traditions with the missionaries. The tradition has been a part of their lives for 16 years! They told me they would send me the recipe of the mouth watering homemade waffles when I got home. We are so blessed with supportive members.

We have a new piano at the VC. Because of the new arrival of the piano Elder Child has decided to have monthly performances with the missionaries. The performances will include song and testimony for wards, investigators, and every one else. This Tuesday is the first performance and I will be performing again... I am grateful to have so many opportunites to use my talents. The Lord is blessing me.

This past week we received permission to have a booth outside of TJ Maxx to give out free videos about the family. We have found that this is a non-threatning way to get into people's homes and teach them more about the restored gospel. It is fun and successful!

I just began to experience Maryland heat and humidity this week! YUCK! I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and get used to it. With the humidity comes beautiful trees and everything is so green! I have fallen in love with the Yoshina Cherry trees. They bloom with puffy, pink, blossoms. I want to try to grow a Yoshina Cherry tree in Cali. I have never seen so many deer! You'd never think that I would be seeing deer in my mission, but they are everywhere. I really think our area is the most beautiful in all of the mission.

August 20, 2008 is my departure date. I am excited that I will be extending. Most sisters have school starting the next week, while I don't...I'm glad to have other opportunites instead. I have also decided that when I return home (not that I really ever have time to think about it) I want to be a temple worker. I love the temple. We attended a session this past week and it was special. I love being with all of the VC sisters in the celestial room. I have grown to love these sisters as my own sisters. I am blessed to be serving with such amazing women.

This past week Sister Scofield and I celebrated our anniversarys with Rita's Italian Ices! I love Rita's. They also have gelatin that we'd like to try next.

Well, we're off to the city today. It will be my first time since I've been serving. We're going with a few other companionships. I'm excited to see the sites and enjoy the nice weather!

Life is wonderful. I am happy. Sister Scofield is amazing. I'm learning so much and I know that the Lord is blessing me every step of the way.

I love you,
Sister Hogge

p.s. Mom - Could you send me my temple dress soon? Thank you for all of the work that you're putting into my skirts. Mother's Day is coming soon!
Hilly - Thank you for the letter and tell your friends thank you! I loved every letter, they made my day!

No comments: