Hello Family and Friends!
Sister Scofield and I have been working hard to get Olney organized. Yesterday we finished the final touches on our organizational project. It's exciting and as you know me, I love to be organized! We have come to know our ward really well as we have studied the names and situations of each member. The Olney 1st ward is wonderful. We have dinner for the next few weeks and when we are at the VC during the night shift we have lunch. Although it is a blessing that I am grateful for, please pray for my tummy. The food is delicious, but can be quite rich. Our love for the people of the ward is growing. I love developing "missionary relationships" with members. We are here to help them magnify their callings as missionaries.
Maylek was baptized this last Sunday. I wasn't able to attend the service, but Sister Everts took pictures for me. From what I heard, Sister Moorman was absolutely beaming. Maylek was a little nervous, but he was great! I am excited for the life that he can now live as a disciple of Jesus Christ.
Currently we are teaching a woman named Lisa. She is a friend of one of the members (who is in the stake presidency) and she is wonderful. We taught Lisa the first lesson this last Monday night and plan to teach her the second lesson this coming Monday night at the member's home. The Spirit was very strong during the lesson and she asked many insightful questions. She was listening and learning. She said the closing prayer at the end of the lesson and it was simple, yet powerful. We have a goal as a mission to always have a kneeling prayer after the first lesson and to ask the investigator to say the prayer. It's part of the "Language of Faith" program. I'm excited to see how Lisa will progress.
Zone Conference was Monday afternoon with Elder Wickman. The conferenced focused on Teaching for Commitments. Invitations = Commitment = Repentance. I was especially touched by President and Sister Price's remarks. I could feel of their strong concern and love for us. There talks have committed us to be more dedicated and diligent missionaries. I had the oppotunity to meet Elder Wickman and I know that he is a man called of God.
During the conference a strong feeling came over me that I was doing exactly what the Lord needed me to do at this time in my life. I was a bit overwhelmed by the feeling. The Spirit testifies of truth and I'm grateful that the Lord saw fit to testify to me that he is pleased with my decision to serve.
I sang "I Stand All Amazed" and it was an interesting experience. The arrangement is beautiful, but I accidently sang the 2nd verse twice. I just assume that the Lord needed someone to hear the 2nd verse again. Before I perform I always pray for the Spirit to touch the hearts of those listening. After the conference my companion told me that while she was translating (ASL) the song, one of the deaf elders was moved to tears. The Spirit is very real and can touch hearts even when words cannot be heard. I am grateful that the Lord allows me to use my talents while serving him.
During my studies of pride this week I have lived by a formula to help me with my own pridefulness. First, we must recognize that we are being prideful. Second, we must immediately pray for strength from the Lord, whether it be a prayer in our hearts or out loud. Third, we must choose to change. As I have applied this formula to my life as a missionary, I have found that I am happier and more excited about missionary work. I know that the Lord blesses us when we are humble.
I know that the Lord is leading us through his Spirit to do and say what he would do and say. I am grateful that we have the gift of the Holy Ghost and may we always be worthy of the constant companionship because it truly is a gift.
Family, thank you for the letters and pictures. Mari is so big and beautiful. It's wonderful to feel connected through letters. The Lord is strengthening our relationships and I'm grateful! I'm going to the temple tomorrow! I'll be sure to let you know about my experience next week!
"Go hard or go home! Don't worry be happy!"
I love you,
Sister Hogge
Thursday, April 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment