Thursday, April 12, 2007

12 April 2007

Dearest Family,

What a treat for me to meet Ben Redfern yesterday. His brother was taking care of his baby, Ben Jr., and being a VC sister I asked where he (the brother) was from, why he was waiting, etc. When he told me his brother served in the Sacramento mission, I got pretty excited. It was fun to spend a few minutes talking with E. Redfern. All he did was brag about how wonderful dad is...which is true. I am impressed with dad's involvement in the Sacramento mission. Not all counselors of the Mission President spend as much time as dad does. Every missionary loves dad and I am proud to be his daughter. Ben mentioned that he will definitely come back to visit me at the VC. My heart strings were pulled tight as I watched him talk to dad...one month until I get to do the same.

Olney is a beautiful area. Most of the area is out in the country. It reminds me of Wilton. The city part of the area reminds me of Elk Grove. It's wonderful because I feel somewhat at home here. The members of the Olney 1st ward are AMAZING! I am excited to get to work with them. They are very supportive and are happy to have sisters in the ward. Bytheway, we are driving a truck for the transfer! I love it! I will definitely send some pictures of my truck.

The weather has been cold and rainy lately. A few days ago it SNOWED! This weather is definitely bipolar! Easter was wonderful. I spent Easter Sunday at the VC. The Washington D.C. Mormon Choir came to perform selections from the Messiah. I just happened to be one of the ushers for the performance and I loved every minute! It was a perfect way to celebrate Easter. The Messiah moved me in such a way that it never has before. It's all different as a missionary when you listen to such sacred and inspired music. I enjoyed it very much.

Thank you for the package of letters. It was better than Christmas. Your letters are priceless to me. I especially loved the letter that Uncle Andy had written dad the day after I was born...the letter is precious to me and I'm grateful for it. Reading his letter touched me and gave me added desire and determination to be with everyone I love forever. It is so important to me.

Tuesday was our Combined District Meeting. We got lost along our way to the meeting and arrived at two other churches before we finally arrived at the right one. We were an hour late, but we were patient. President talked about removing all of the "detestable things" from our lives (D&C). Detestable things are anything that detracts from our focus on the Lord and the work...attitude, thoughts, material things etc. I love how we can apply the scriptures to ourselves. I know that I struggle with pride, but the Lord is helping me each day. When we compare ourselves with others and when we don't use the gifts God has given us we are being prideful. (D&C 30:1-2; 60:2-3)

My companion, Sister Scofield, is wonderful. I am learning everything I can from her. She is from Provo, Utah and she learned sign language in the MTC. When she came out into the field she was in the sign language program and although she is in the English program now, she translates at meetings. We found out yesterday that her Grandma died. President called her and gave her permission to call her family. It was interesting because we had just been talking about the Spirit World and the death of loved ones earlier yesterday morning. We are so grateful for Heavenly Father's plan of peace. She is strong and has a wonderful attitude.

This coming week we have zone conference with Elder Wickman and I have been asked to sing again. It will be a wonderful experience I'm sure. I feel blessed to be able to use my talents so often on my mission.

Well, the work is coming along slowly but surely. We are all organized and just trying to get to know all of the members, less-actives, and part-member families in the ward. I work very hard every day and go to bed so tired, but it feels good.

I love you all and I'm so happy to be serving the Lord.

Love, Sister Hogge

p.s.
- Sarah, I met Sister Eppison in the VC. She is serving the Baltimore mission and says she knows you from China. We took pictures and I'll be sure to send you one.
- I would love to write a letter to Mary, just let me know the details.
- President said that I can't sing with Galena, but if I happen to be there or I'm scheduled to be there (which I will be) it's okay.
- Because summer is coming knee highs are greatly appreciated (No nonsense). I need more tan than black. Summer clothes are needed, light weight t-shirts, wrinkle free, etc.
- Send Grandma and Grandpa Hogge my love.

No comments: