Thursday, May 3, 2007

3 May 2007

Dearest Family and Friends,

It was so wonderful to receive your emails. Letters and emails make me happy and I am grateful for the love and support. I have found that I truly am a home girl. I love my family and I miss the excitement, but the Lord needs me here.

DC last week was wonderful. We toured the American Art Museum and Portrait Gallery. I especially loved all of the portraits of the American Presidents. The Spirit was strong as I walked through the room of their portraits, truly many of them were men of God. Ford's Theater was closed again, but we toured the small museum on the bottom floor. I thought of dad the entire time I read the events of Lincoln's death. The National Gallery of Art was AMAZING!! I especially loved the original Leonardo Da Vinci painting entitled Genevera Da Benci. What a treat! I took lots of pictures. One of the senior couples took us and the husband knew so much about art, so he was our tour guide! Today we are going to the city again and touring the monuments...I am so blessed!

The VC just received some new art, paintings of the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies. As I have studied the art and the stories behind the paintings I have felt my testimony of consecration and dedication to the Lord strengthen. I have done my best to learn all I can for the visitors that come into the VC and I am now integrating the art into tours. It's lots of fun!

This past Sunday we had five investigators attend church. The Lord is blessing us. We're praying for our investigators to progress and for the Lord to bless us with a family to teach. The work is slowly progressing.

Last night we were invited to attend a Young Women's activity to share with the girls and their leaders our stories of how we decided to serve missions. It was wonderful to be able to remember why I decided to serve a mission. I am grateful for the Lord's hand in my decision. I am learning that although sacrifice is difficult, it is possible, especially when I am sacrificing for the Lord. Serving a mission truly is a sacrifice, but I am grateful for the Lord's strength. I can live for him.

Two nights ago we had our first musical fireside at the VC. We are beginning a new monthly tradition. The missionaries in the mission provide music and testimony for other missionaries and their investigators. Music invites the spirit and the spirit testifies of truth. I am grateful that the Lord is blessing me with opportunities to perform. The fireside was a great success, everyone loved the music. Every month different missionaries will have the opportunity to perform. I love the VC!!

I know that God lives and that Jesus Chirst is our Savior. I know that Joseph Smith restored Jesus Christ's church and suffered much for us to have the restored gospel. The Book of Mormon is the word of God and another testament of our Savior. President Hinckley is our living prophet. How grateful I am for these truths.

With Love, Sister Hogge

p.s. Mom - THANK YOU! for the package. I almost cried when I saw the music and the shirts! You are an angel. The shirts have already been so helpful. Both of the sweaters you sent me are from Walmart. The other purple button up sweater is from Express. I would love some names to bring to the temple, what a special treat! Thank you for sending my temple dress. I was thinking of asking the members in Galena to pray about someone they would like me to contact to send them a "message of love" and a gift (BOM or video) along with a message from the missionaries...when they come to the VC June 16th. What do you think? Right now I'm good with my medicine and thank you for Ms. Mutter's address! Mom and Dad, Happy Belated Anniversary. I'm sorry that I didn't mention it last week. I love you both.

Grandma Buck - Happy Birthday! I love you! I sent you a card with more details.

Hilly - Happy Birthday again! I can't believe that you're going to be 16. Make good choices and stay close to the family and the Lord. Pray every day and read your scriptures and you will be protected by the Spirit.

Family - I will be calling Sunday, May 13th, at about 6:30pm my time, 3:30pm your time. Let me know if that will work for you. I'll have about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to talk! I can't wait! Will you be having a family party for Mother's Day? I love you all so much! MW Give Miss Mari a big hug and kiss from Aunt Sister Hogge!

No comments: