Wednesday, February 28, 2007

28 February 2007

Hey Family,

I have decided that although I love your emails you might have to write me through mail sometimes because I only have 30 minutes to read and write you back. When I have too many emails it's hard to find time to write. I love all of the support, but letters sent the day after you receive my email would be wonderful every now and then.

First of all, Happy Birthday Sarah and Bradford!!! I wish I could be with you to celebrate, but you know I'll be thinking of you. Sarah, I LOVED the pics of Mari. I got them yesterday and I look at them all the time! She is so beautiful and getting so big.

Well, I survived a week in the field. It is wonderful out here in Maryland. A huge storm hit on Sunday and many wards were canceled. Luckily we were able to go to church. Our cars were grounded for the day in the mission and we spent most of our Sunday studying and contacting potential investigators on the phone. The VC was also closed because of the snow.

Right now we are teaching a woman named Florida. She is African-American and has concerns and doubts about the BOM. We met her at the VC and watch Testaments. She still has concerns, but hopefully the Lord will soften her heart. Although I get frustrated with her I have come to understand that the BOM is new for many people and we have to be patient as missionaries with our investigators who struggle. I testified of the truthfulness of the BOM, the Spirit was strong and I knew that Florida felt it. We will be teaching her the 2nd lesson tomorrow and will be inviting her to "Why I Believe" - they are firesides put on at the VC with well known guest speakers. The speaker this Sunday will be Senator Orin Hatch, pretty exciting!!

We are also teaching an Ethiopian family of 6. They are wonderful, but they are very strong in their Ethipoian Christian beliefs. Church for them is very social and cultural. We taught them about the tree of life and had each family member draw the vision on a piece of paper (this involved the kids). We then explained to them the symbolism and how important is it for them to hold to the iron rod and get to the tree of life as a family. I love them so much! I desire for them to be together forever!! We gave them a BOM in Amharic, their native language and they are reading from it. We invited them to the VC and they will be meeting us there next week. The VC is a great resource in helping others come unto Christ and feel the Spirit testify to them that the things we are teaching them are true!

I love the members and the people of DC. Many of them are so poor, humble, and kind. Tonight we will be going to dinner with Sister Moormon, a convert of 6 months. She is strong and such an example to me. She is from Barbados and is so faithful. She has helped me learn to be more patient with my investigators. She is taking us to a Greek restaurant. She has an interesting story... I will have to tell you sometime. She has a grandson, Maylek (8 years old) who will hopefully be baptized soon.

The world headquarters of the 7th Day Adventists church is in my area. I saw it the other day...interesting. There are many different religions and cultures.

My time is up, I hope to write more next week. I'm glad you received the DVD, it was a special experience for me. Mom, I will write you about the email address or phone number you can call to speak with Elder or Sister Child (the VC directors). I am soooo EXCITED about tour this year. Hopefully I will be able to see you. I'm sure I could pull some strings.

I am reading the BOM with the mission. We are reading and highlighting Christ's names in red, His attributes in blue, and His words in green. It's amazing the things that I have been learning. I'd challenge you to do it. Buy a new copy of the BOM and read it!

I will not be able to print the emails, just FYI. Well, I have so much to say still, maybe I'll have to write a letter. Until then, I know that these things I'm teaching and learning are true! I love this great work and I love all of you so much!

Love, Sister Hogge

p.s. Mom - I need you to look for a bag for my mission. Most missionaries have this bag. I think the brand may be Rock Lockster and the name of the bag is Uphill. I love you Dad - are you emailing these emails to that list of friends I gave you, just making sure. I love you

No comments: