Dear Family,
I’m going on my third week at the MTC and life is going well. Becoming a missionary is difficult. The past few weeks have been filled with highs and lows.

Last night my companions and I taught Lesson Three. We have officially taught Lessons One, Two, and Three to “investigators.” We are quickly learning not only how to trust each other, but how to trust the Spirit. For it is the Spirit that can testify of truth. We have grown so much as a companionship. Without Sister Coyle I would be too uptight as a missionary. I would not laugh as often and I would probably stress over meaningless things. Sister Coyle is from Susanville, CA. Without Sister Snelson, who is from Springville, UT, I would be tempted to be lazy and not follow through with my goals. We have truly grown to love each other and we have an honest, trusting relationship. We must do everything to keep our companionship united.
Recently I have been asking the Lord to show me my weaknesses, so I can improve and be a better missionary. I have found that when you do this your weaknesses are shoved into your face and magnified tenfold. I know it’s part of the humbling process of becoming a missionary. Ether 12:27 is the famous scripture for this subject. I think that most of the time we tend to ignore the first phrase in the scripture, “And if men come unto me I will shown them their weaknesses.” As I have been coming closer to my Savior He has shown me my weaknesses. I am learning to become more patient with anyone and everyone. I am learning how to accept that my way might not always be the right way. My teacher told me that you know you’re doing the right thing and you’re coming closer to the Lord when you’re shown your weaknesses. I have been comforted to know these things.
Two nights ago Elder Richard G. Scott came to the MTC for a devotional. He gave an insightful talk on prayer. After the meeting my companions and I had the opportunity to shake his hand. When I shook his hand and looked into his eyes the Spirit was incredibly strong. I know that he is a man of God and a chosen witness of Jesus Christ. Although it was a wonderful experience, I accidentally dropped my notebook by his feet and every “bodyguard” ran to either help me or to make sure Elder Scott was okay. I’d like to think they just wanted to help me. Elder Scott laughed and told me that I could probably pick that up faster than he could. Funny story.
Lately I have been studying charity. In Preach My Gospel one of the points to be a successful missionary is to love people and desire their salvation. As I was in the RC (Referral Center) this past week a woman 21 years old called for a free Book of Mormon. After I collected all of her information, I asked her what prompted her to call for the book. She told me that it was for her and her dad. Four years ago her grandpa died and it was difficult for her family. Because of the death they hadn’t been to any church since then. I shared my thoughts and testimony with her. I shared my personal experiences with Uncle Andy. I told her the peace this gospel has brought to me and that she would have the opportunity to see her grandpa again. The Spirit was strong and I asked her if I could send missionaries over with her free Book of Mormon. I told her the missionaries would share a special message of Jesus Christ. She declined and wanted to receive it in the mail. My heart broke. I think I am only beginning to understand what true charity is. In Mosiah 28:3, “Now they were desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not bear that any human soul should perish; yea, the very thought that any soul should endure endless torment did cause them to quake and tremble.” I know that I can be a powerful missionary if I have true charity for those I teach and for my companion.

I love our missionaries in our district! The elders take care of us and we all have a mutual respect and love for each other. They will all be great and effective missionaries in the field.
Well, everything is going well here. Life is hard and missionary work is hard, but it’s wonderful. Elder Holland said, “Missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience.” He goes on to say, how could it ever be easy for us if it was not easy for Christ? The atonement will carry us even more than it will carry our investigators. I know that I will be blessed and my family will be blessed as we rely on the atonement. I know that although I will never be able to comprehend its vastness, I can apply the atoning blood of Jesus Christ to my life. This will show that I have faith in Him as my Savior. I know that His infinite atonement is central to our Heavenly Father’s plan and to the gospel. It is only through Him that we can be saved physically and spiritually. It is only through Him that we can find peace in this life and eternal joy in the next. I love my Savior and I know that He lives!
With love,
Mindy (Sister Hogge)
P.S. Enjoy the pictures!
I’m going on my third week at the MTC and life is going well. Becoming a missionary is difficult. The past few weeks have been filled with highs and lows.

Last night my companions and I taught Lesson Three. We have officially taught Lessons One, Two, and Three to “investigators.” We are quickly learning not only how to trust each other, but how to trust the Spirit. For it is the Spirit that can testify of truth. We have grown so much as a companionship. Without Sister Coyle I would be too uptight as a missionary. I would not laugh as often and I would probably stress over meaningless things. Sister Coyle is from Susanville, CA. Without Sister Snelson, who is from Springville, UT, I would be tempted to be lazy and not follow through with my goals. We have truly grown to love each other and we have an honest, trusting relationship. We must do everything to keep our companionship united.
Recently I have been asking the Lord to show me my weaknesses, so I can improve and be a better missionary. I have found that when you do this your weaknesses are shoved into your face and magnified tenfold. I know it’s part of the humbling process of becoming a missionary. Ether 12:27 is the famous scripture for this subject. I think that most of the time we tend to ignore the first phrase in the scripture, “And if men come unto me I will shown them their weaknesses.” As I have been coming closer to my Savior He has shown me my weaknesses. I am learning to become more patient with anyone and everyone. I am learning how to accept that my way might not always be the right way. My teacher told me that you know you’re doing the right thing and you’re coming closer to the Lord when you’re shown your weaknesses. I have been comforted to know these things.
Two nights ago Elder Richard G. Scott came to the MTC for a devotional. He gave an insightful talk on prayer. After the meeting my companions and I had the opportunity to shake his hand. When I shook his hand and looked into his eyes the Spirit was incredibly strong. I know that he is a man of God and a chosen witness of Jesus Christ. Although it was a wonderful experience, I accidentally dropped my notebook by his feet and every “bodyguard” ran to either help me or to make sure Elder Scott was okay. I’d like to think they just wanted to help me. Elder Scott laughed and told me that I could probably pick that up faster than he could. Funny story.
Lately I have been studying charity. In Preach My Gospel one of the points to be a successful missionary is to love people and desire their salvation. As I was in the RC (Referral Center) this past week a woman 21 years old called for a free Book of Mormon. After I collected all of her information, I asked her what prompted her to call for the book. She told me that it was for her and her dad. Four years ago her grandpa died and it was difficult for her family. Because of the death they hadn’t been to any church since then. I shared my thoughts and testimony with her. I shared my personal experiences with Uncle Andy. I told her the peace this gospel has brought to me and that she would have the opportunity to see her grandpa again. The Spirit was strong and I asked her if I could send missionaries over with her free Book of Mormon. I told her the missionaries would share a special message of Jesus Christ. She declined and wanted to receive it in the mail. My heart broke. I think I am only beginning to understand what true charity is. In Mosiah 28:3, “Now they were desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not bear that any human soul should perish; yea, the very thought that any soul should endure endless torment did cause them to quake and tremble.” I know that I can be a powerful missionary if I have true charity for those I teach and for my companion.

I love our missionaries in our district! The elders take care of us and we all have a mutual respect and love for each other. They will all be great and effective missionaries in the field.
Well, everything is going well here. Life is hard and missionary work is hard, but it’s wonderful. Elder Holland said, “Missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience.” He goes on to say, how could it ever be easy for us if it was not easy for Christ? The atonement will carry us even more than it will carry our investigators. I know that I will be blessed and my family will be blessed as we rely on the atonement. I know that although I will never be able to comprehend its vastness, I can apply the atoning blood of Jesus Christ to my life. This will show that I have faith in Him as my Savior. I know that His infinite atonement is central to our Heavenly Father’s plan and to the gospel. It is only through Him that we can be saved physically and spiritually. It is only through Him that we can find peace in this life and eternal joy in the next. I love my Savior and I know that He lives!

With love,
Mindy (Sister Hogge)
P.S. Enjoy the pictures!
No comments:
Post a Comment