Dear Family,
I have been so excited to write! I have P-days on Thursdays and last Thursday was not a P-day. This past week has been the longest week of my life! My first day at the MTC was difficult. The first three days were especially difficult. I am only beginning to understand what missionaries mean when they say that on your mission you will experience your lowest lows and your highest highs. Missionary work, becoming a missionary is a humbling process. You feel the lows and highs altogether in one day for days or weeks at a time! The Lord completely humbles you to your knees so He can mold you to be an instrument in His hands. He molds you into a trusting and faithful missionary who has learned to conform to His will. I love it!
My two companions are Sister Coyle (the sister I met in the Sacramento Temple) and Sister Snelson. They are wonderful companions! We are all so different from one another, but we love each other. We have learned how to trust in the Lord together and we work well together. I am grateful for their love and example. We also know how to have fun together and we laugh often. We have found that laughing is stress relief. In our teaching and as we have stopped thinking of ourselves and begun thinking of our investigators, we have been more successful in our teaching. It's great!
As I have been working through the process of becoming a missionary I have had to be patient with myself and with the Lord. When I teach the gospel I always have to remember that I am not in control. The gospel must be taught simply, clearly, with love, and most importantly with the Spirit. I have never felt so weak in my teaching.
D&C 11:21: "Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men."
I have memorized this and have applied it every day!
Alma 26:12: "Yea, I know I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore, I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in His strength I can do all things . . . ."
I have also memorized this one!
I know that this is true! I am nothing without the help of the Lord. I imagine that the Lord will humble me many, many more times on my mission.
Recently my branch president called me to be the "Coordinating Sister" for our branch/zone. My responsibilities are basically to take care of all the sisters. I was a bit overwhelmed with the call when I received it last Sunday because I had just arrived at the MTC. I was unsure if it would add to the struggles of MTC life. We just received five more sisters yesterday, which makes for a total of 10 sisters in our branch (and that's a lot!). It's just making sure that they are following the rules, dressing and looking appropriate, behaving, and I love them and help them with any needs they have emotionally. I know that the Lord has His reasons when He calls people to positions in the church. Receiving the new calling has been a humbling experience and I am grateful.
I know that Satan's power is very real. He knows how to make me feel unworthy and inadequate. I have never felt Satan's influence like I have this past week. He knows that I have the potential to be a powerful instrument in the Lord's hands. Before I came to the MTC I decided to be exactly obedient. Now that I am here I am glad that exact obedience is a priority for me and my companions. Satan will take any opportunity to have power over the missionaries. Although I have been struggling with feelings of inadequacy I know that the Lord is on my side. When you feel fear and doubt it is a key indicator that you are on the right track and that the adversary is afraid of you.
My companions and I go to the TEC (Teacher Evaluation Center) at least three times a week. This place is where we can do many things to improve our teaching including practice teaching lessons. Last night we had our first visit to the TRC (Teaching Resource Center). This is where companionships go to practice teaching lessons with "investigators" or volunteers. As we taught the first lesson last night I knew that the things we were teaching were true. During the lesson I had the opportunity to commit the investigator to reading passages of the Book of Mormon and to being baptized. It was awesome! Scary, but awesome. We will be teaching the second lesson in the TEC tomorrow and in the TRC Saturday. The Spirit, who is a testifier of truth, testifies to me of the truthfulness of the things I teach every day!
My teachers are Brother Bradshaw and Brother Ash. They are great teachers that push me to be better and to work hard. Our district has three companionships of elders and two companionships of sisters. We have grown to love each other and respect each other. As I have watched the people in our district, especially the elders, I have seen them become powerful missionaries. It is wonderful to see their growth within one week.
The planning and scheduling of missionary life is great and it's important to being an effective missionary. In fact, there is an entire chapter in PMG (Preach My Gospel) about using time wisely. Family, I hope you're reading PMG; it is wonderful!!
I have a testimony that this great work of proclaiming the truth to all nations must roll forth quickly and it is! I know that the Lord has called me to preach His gospel and I feel privileged for the opportunity.
I pray for you every day and think of you usually when I'm praying or about to go to sleep. The MTC keeps me busy and I rarely have a moment to get homesick. I love you and miss you all. I can't wait to hear from you, family. It is a great blessing to be a family in the gospel and true church of Jesus Christ. We are examples to the world!
I love you,
Sister Hogge
P.S. Family or anyone, you can send letters through www.dearelder.com and they will get to me the same day you send them.
Wednesday, February 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment