Dear Family,
Thank you for the emails. I have to admit that although emails are nice, I love letters so much more than emails!
Life is great here in DC. It has been extremely cold lately...the kind of wet cold that hurts. I've never felt a cold like this! The wind cuts right through me and it hurts. I've found funny ways to keep myself warm, especailly when I'm out and about. Yesterday I think my toes almost fell off!!
Big news...our new mission president is going to be President Mansell. He was the President of the Utah Senate. I'm excited for the news, but I have come to love Pres. and Sis. Price. Mom, don't worry about coming to the VC. The VC director told me that he wants me to be there. I'm soooo excited! And yes, I was standing outside of the door when Elder Child called you. I just wanted to keep listening to him talk to you. It was wonderful!
I have come to really enjoy working at the VC. I especially enjoy working nights. With the temple lights and the reflection of the Christus on the window it's beautiful. I love everything about the VC. I recently gave a tour to a couple from North Carolina. They are not members and had lots of great questions. After a tour they requested a BOM and I was very excited! We took a picture of me and the referral card they filled out. We call that golden! Working in the VC is awesome!! They play lots of MoTab music in the VC and the other day I heard the song "When you're worried and you can't sleep, just count your blessing instead of sheep and you'll fall asleep counting your blessings..." I thought of my favorite movie and being with my family at Christmas time. It was a nice experience.
Two days ago I had my first interview with Pres. Price. As we talked he told me that Satan works to get missionaries down by making them feel inadequate or unworthy. It's so true!! When those feelings come I've learned to quickly put them aside and to focus on the Lord and the people I'm teaching. Missions are hard! You think you can help bring souls to Christ by simply smiling and sharing your sweet testimony, but most of the time it's much, much more than that! It's difficult to describe the feelings of a missionary...ups and downs. I love it because I know the Lord needs me and I simply keep going.
Most of my area is filled with people from Africa. I love Africans because they are nice and humble. I learn so much from them. We are still teaching Florida, but she is not progressing. Her heart is closed to the BOM and she isn't sincerely asking if it's true. It's sad to see her not keep commitments, but we still love her and hope that if anything we've planted a seed.
Today it's snowing. Our cars are grounded today, but luckily we got to the Library to email our families before we were officially grounded. The only exception is for sisters who have to travel to the VC. We're taking the Yemens to the VC tonight. They are a wonderful family and I'm excited for their future as members of the church.
I have learned to be optimistic and to use the language of faith. Instead of saying, "if you get baptized...," we say, "when you get baptized..." etc. It works! People make and keep commitments when missionaries use the language of faith.
I have learned to appreciate member's involvement in missionary work. We are blessed with a wonderful ward and we are working hard to get the members more involved. Members are wonderful and I would encourage all of you to help the missionaries.
I am loving life in the mission field. I go to bed absolutely exhausted and it feels great to know that I am working so hard, but I can be better. I love the people in DC. I love their humility and kindness. I am learning so much from them. I am trusting in the Lord now more than ever and I am happy.
I loved the emails, thank you. I especially love short emails and long letters. I love being a missionary and I love all of you so much!
Love, Sister Hogge
MW
Wednesday, March 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment