Thursday, March 6, 2008

5 March 2008

Happy March and Happy Spring!

Spring is in the air! The past few days have been surprisingly warm and humid and have brought back many wonderful memories from the beginning of my mission. Spring weather is beautiful in DC and is usually accompanied with rain! I love the rain! Soon the cherry blossoms and Dogwoods will bloom. It is a glorious sight!

Well, transfers have come and gone. I have prayed hard to stay with both Sister Mukhlaash and Mulford and thankfully the Lord graciously gave us all what we desired. Transfers are always somewhat intense, but the Lord helps us grow through change. I think that the Lord knew that I not only needed my sweet companions, but that Sister Mukhlaash especially needs us. Her English is coming along, slowly, but surely. I often try to put myself in her shoes, especially when she seems frustrated or confused. Sister Mulford is the perfect example of patience and love. I am learning much from her. I have been impressed that throughout everything that Sister Mukhlaash is experiencing she has great patience with herself. We are often our own worst critic, but not so with Sister Mukhlaash. She has so much faith and trusts in the Lord.

As always, much has happened within the past week. President Mansell and Elder Child recently called me to be a Visitor's Center trainer. There are four VC trainers (Sisters Baxter, Coyle, Rogers, and myself) that train the sisters at the VC. We also plan the weekly training meetings. We work hard together to encourage and love the sisters and think of ways to improve our effectiveness as a Visitor's Center. We also do much of the work along with the senior couples to run the VC. I am surprised by the call, but very excited. I have always loved the VC and have desired to really step up my performance there. I feel that this is a great opportunity to forget myself and be completely immersed in helping others. I am very grateful for the opportunity to serve such wonderful sisters. I love them and many of them have become my dearest friends.

This past Sunday was an exciting day. Sister Baxter and I received permission from President Mansell to attend Erica's baptism. It was a beautiful baptism and I felt like I was coming home as I saw the familiar faces of the singles. I have a great love for the DC 2nd singles ward. Erica asked me to sing at her baptism and I sang a simple and beautiful arrangement of "The Lord Is My Shepherd". Before I had left the single's ward we had taught Erica everything! All she needed was a baptismal interview. I was grateful that the day finally came when she was able to make such special promises with her Heavenly Father. She is rock solid and will be a great leader in the church.

Later Sunday night we went to the Mansell's for an FHE. We invited the Floyds and Whit (a recent convert). Greg and Rachel really connected with the Mansells and Sister Mansell instantly fell in love with their daughter, Katharina. By the end of the night Katharina was calling Sister Mansell Grandma Mansell, very cute. The Floyds are doing well. Greg is continuall progressing. We recently taught him about tithing, which can be difficult to teach to those who enjoy material things. Greg willingly committed to pay his tithing and I know that he will see great blessings. I am grateful for Rachel's example to Greg. They are very blessed to have one another. He is still scheduled to be baptized March 15th, which is coming very soon!

The work is going well. I have learned that instead of praying for the Lord to help me overcome my natural man tendencies and weaknesses, I must pray to know how I can serve others, and in doing so, the weaknesses will become strengths. I love the Lord and I love you.

Always, Sister Hogge

No comments: