Friday, March 21, 2008

20 March 2008

Dear Family and Friends,

It has been a crazy and wonderful week! I am so grateful that I am a busy missionary. There is always so much work to be done. The work keeps my mind focused. When we work hard we forget about ourselves.

Yesterday was P-Day but because of technical problems my email didn't send to you lovely people...which is somewhat frustrating, but life goes on. It seems that most of the mission had technical problems and we have all been given permission today to write our families.

Yesterday we went to the city with Rachel Floyd (Greg's wife). We had planned on going to the Holocaust Museum. I have been looking forward to this trip for some time. The city was absolutely packed with buses full of students on spring break. There were also many families, many Mormon families. I enjoy the spring/summer time in D.C. because we seen to be much more liked and popular with all of the many members visitng town. The VC is also much more busy during these months. It was fun to see so many members in D.C. Anyway, we go to the Holocaust Museum and it was much different from what I remember. The security was much more strict, probably from the events of 9/11 and it seemed much bigger. They may have added onto the Museum since I attended 8 years ago. Free tickets need to be reserved to get up into the upper levels or more interesting parts of the Museum. Sadly, Rachel had to be home at a certain time to pick up Katharina and we didn't have enough time to go to the upper levels. But we made the best of a fun day in D.C. We did get to go to the Hall of Remembrance. As I walked through the hall with all of the beautiful candles memories came backAfter lunch in the Museum we walked around the Washington Monument and it began pouring rain, typical D.C. We had fun and took lots of pictures. Luckily, we can always visit the Holocaust Museum another time. I really enjoy being with Rachel. She is a dear friend and will be forever. She just received a new calling, young women's camp director. She is somewhat nervous, but the Lord always qualifies whom He calls.

Greg Floyd's baptism was this last Saturday. It was the most spiritual and exciting baptismal service I have attended. It was one of the sweetest experiences of my mission. He planned a beautiful baptismal service and asked me to sing one of his favorite hymns, "I Stand All Amazed". Rachel spoke on baptism. Her talk was heart felt. She has been waiting many years for Greg to be baptized. It was an exciting day for their family. Greg also asked Sister Mukhlaash to speak about the gift of the Holy Ghost. She did a great job and even memorized most of her talk. She was very nervous, but the spirit was strong and my heart was filled as I listened to her share her sincere testimony and love for the Floyds. Greg looked wonderful in his white shirt and tie and there was a great light in his eyes. He shared his thoughts during the baptismal service. He knows that the church is true and that although the road ahead will not be easy, it is the right path and the only way to eternal happiness with his family. He has never felt so much peace. After the baptism I talked with Greg. Many years ago Greg and Rachel lost a baby girl, only a few days old, named Hilary. Hilary would be 14 years old now. Greg told me that he knew that Hilary was waiting for him to be baptized and for their family to be sealed together forever. He didn't want Hilary to wait any longer. I'm sure that Hilary was very happy with her dad's righteous decision. We are so connected to our loved ones on the other side. I have never seen such a humble man change his life so quickly. He will be a better father and husband because of his choices. In one year they will be sealed in the Washington D.C. Temple. I can't wait for that day. The fruits of this work are so sweet. The Atonement changes hearts and lives.

Because of my experience with the Floyd family, I have been thinking about the excitement and peace of living with our loved ones forever. I have felt my love for my own family grow tremendously as I have served. One of the greatest blessings of the Restoration is temples and the authority to be sealed to our loved ones.

Sweet Sister Mukhlaash has had a difficult week. The other day she was having pain in her side. We took her to see one of the medical students in the ward and he, as well as everyone we talked to, thought that she had kidney stones. However, a rash began to develop on her side. We took her to the doctor and she was diagnosed with shingles. Shingles are extremely painful. Sister Mukhlaash is one of the most dedicated, diligent, and hard working missionaries I have ever met. She refused to rest. We took her to the mission home to be with President and Sister Mansell, while Sister Mulford and I worked in the area. They couldn't get her to rest! Finally, the shingles got worse and sweet Sister Mukhlaash was convinced that she would get better faster if she would rest. It is difficult to see her in so much pain. Please keep her in your prayers. We love her so much and she is a wonderful servant of the Lord.

I am really enjoying my new calling as a VC trainer. Currently, I have been working with the MTC and headquarters in Salt Lake to update and fix our referral center. I'm not too great on the computers, but I can follow directions. I espeically love serving the sisters. I want to do all I can to help them be happy and feel effective and loved. I feel so blessed to serve with such wonderful sister missionaries. I have felt my heart fill with so much love for the sisters and senior couples. The Lord is blessing us (VC trainers) with much inspiration and guidance for the progress of the VC. I hope that the Lord will continually qualify me as His servant to step up my performance and be an example to the sisters. It's a wonderful calling!

As always, life is wonderful. I love serving the Lord and I wish I could extend for another year, but there is a time and a season for everything. I am grateful for my Savior, especially during this Easter season I have been able to reflect on His love and sacrifice for me. "Oh it is wonderful that He should care for me enough to die for me." I love this work and I love you!

With Love, Sister Hogge

No comments: