Wednesday, February 20, 2008

20 February 2008

Dearest family and friends,

It just began snowing today. Two days ago it was in the 60's and 70's. I love the snow and I have missed it this winter. We hope to be getting more snow this coming week.

This week has been wonderful! I love working with Sister Mulford, it's like working with my best friend. We have seen many, many miracles and it is confirmed to me every day that the Lord is so aware of us. I love the people of Quince Orchard and love sharing my testimony and love for them. When we do so it invites the Spirit and their hearts are softened. We have been teaching many new people. There are many people who are willing to listen to the gospel message, but I have learned that it is important to simply plant seeds with those who are not willing to keep their commitments and to focus our energy and efforts on those most prepared.

The Floyd family is doing well. We LOVE them so much. We had an FHE with them and our ward mission leader's family on Monday night. We discussed the Family Proclamation. It's good for them to get to know the ward members. Tonight we are having dinner with them. They are making us German food. Greg was born in Germany and lived there for many years. I always love trying new international food. Thus far I have found that my favorite is Thai food and my least favorite is African food. After dinner we will be teaching Greg about the gospel of Jesus Christ and we will be extending a baptismal date to him. He is so ready. I am excited to see the Floyd family sealed in the temple. This is their ultimate goal, as it should be. The highlight of the week was this past Sunday. We had stake conference and it was broadcast from Salt Lake. It was a regional conference for the eastern states. Elder Nelson, Sister Tanner, and President Uchtdorf spoke.

It was a fabulous conference, perfect for the Floyd family. The focus of the conference was families. Greg loved President Uchtdorf and not just because he was German, but he really felt the Spirit as he spoke. This is good. It was great to be in the Seneca Stake again. I saw many loved ones from Olney. I've missed my Olney family. It felt like coming home when I was at stake conference.

After stake conference we quickly made preparations for Sarah and Anne's baptisms. The baptismal service was beautiful. They looked like angels in their long, white dresses. The Quince Orchard ward is very supportive and many members attended. The girls asked me to sing. I sang "Guide Me To Thee" one of my absolute favorites. They both were baptized and received the gift of the Holy Ghost because of family that had come into town.

After the baptism we went to Sarah and Anne's home for dinner. It was a delicious dinner with rice, ribs, and veggies. The presentation was beautiful. We could tell that they really wanted it to be special and it was. I love the youth of the church. I am grateful for their simple faith. They are examples to me. After dinner we had a teaching appointment and went straight to the VC for the "Why I Believe" fireside. Sarah gave the opening prayer and although she was nervous it was a sweet and heartfelt prayer. I was so proud of her. Sarah and Anne will be great leaders of the church. Sadly, Anne moved the next day to Connecticut to be with her mom. Luckily, we found all of her new ward information and the building is only 5 minutes away from their home. We will write her and she will continue to stay strong. The new ward will love her and will already miss her!

After a long and tiring day this past Sunday, Sister Mulford and I got back to the apartment and crashed! We were exhausted, it's a great feeling. Just as we were about to go to bed we received a phone call from President Mansell. He said that he had a new assignment for us...we would be training a new Mongolian sister and she would be arriving in two days, mid-transfer! I couldn't believe it, we were both completely surprised. We cleaned and rearranged the apartment and got a new bed for her. We have three beds in a small room, which makes it look like one long and big bed. My clothes are now in the coat closet. I am learning that sacrifice brings blessings and helps us to love the people we serve...I'm really not sacrificing much. So, we picked her up from the VC last night and today is our first full day together. We are very excited to train her in a trio. I'm excited to have Sister Mulford with me to train again. Her name is Sister Mukhlaash (mook-lash). She is 26, a microbiologist, a convert of 5 years, and very, very sweet. She speaks Mongolian and Russian and she doesn't speak very much English, but we love her so much. I'm praying fot the Lord to help her understand us and for us to understand her. It will be a wonderful, growing experience for all of us! The Lord is so good to us.

Well, I have learned that just as I get comfortable in my current situations the Lord changes things to get me outside of my comfort zone, which is good. I love this work. I love beautiful Quince Orchard and I'm grateful for Sister Mukhlaash. Hope you are all doing well and doing the simple things to bring you closer to our Father in Heaven and our Savior, Jesus Christ.

With Love, Sister Hogge

No comments: