Friday, February 15, 2008

14 February 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

It has been an amazing week! The weather has been absoultely crazy! One day we had freezing wind and the next we had freezing rain. It was an adventure. The work always moves forward despite weather conditions. I finally invested in a pair of boots, it's about time. They are incredibly warm, not the most stylish, but such is the life of a missionary. Sister Mulford and I have wondered if we will ever be attractive again. : ) You should see us in our layers, all dressed in black, not too cute, but needful. We have still seen miracles despite the weather. The Lord's hand is always in His work.

Sarah and Anne are progressing very well and are very excited for their baptisms on Sunday. We are also very excited. They are happy and full of such a great Spirit. They are great missionaries and want all of their friends to know more about the gospel. It's always exciting to see who they've invited to the next lesson. We will be having the baptisms after stake conference on Sunday. It's great to be back in the Seneca stake. I was in the Seneca stake when I served in Olney. After the baptism we will be having dinner with Sarah and Anne's family and then we will be going with them to a "Why I Believe" fireside at the VC. The joys of this work are so sweet.

The Floyds are doing well. Greg is progressing well and we hope for him to be baptized within the month. They came to the VC a few days ago and we taught them about the plan of salvation and they watched the Joseph Smith movie. Last night we had a wonderful lesson with them. We discussed the Atonement and talked about the "Parable of the Mediator" by President Packer. Greg is really beginning to understand the need for a Savior. We have seen his heart change since we first met him. The family shared some special and sad experiences from their past and the Spirit was very strong. I know that the Lord loves this family and I know that they will be sealed in the temple. At the end of a beautiful and fun lesson we all knelt in prayer and Greg gave the most humble prayer. He is such a good man and he wants the best for his family. In every area I serve my heart is filled with so much love for the people. Whenever I think that my heart couldn't possibly love anyone else as I love a certain individual or family, my hearts expands and is filled with even deeper and greater love. I have learned that true love is when we are willing to sacrifice. Our Savior was the perfect example of love because of what He sacrificed. We can show our love for others and for the Lord through what we sacrifice.
This last weekend a ballet company came to perform at the VC. Mariel Miller (from the Olney ward) was one of the dancers and the entire Olney ward came to support her. It was so exciting for me to see all of the Olney people. Wonderful memories came to mind as I conversed with the members. The ballet performance was absolutely beautiful. Sometimes I miss dancing. It was a great experience to see so many of the people I love so dearly.

We have been finding many, many new investigators. It has been exciting to find, find, find...but we're really stuggling to get people to keep their appointments. It can be frustrating, but agency is a beautiful gift from our Heavenly Father. Without it we couldn't receive the fulness of the blessings. We learning how to sift the unprepared from the prepared. I love working with Sister Mulford. We have so much fun together out in the area. She is a fabulous missionary and really loves the people.

Funny story: My doctor has given me new medication for my IBS. It has been working well so far. However, the doctor recommended that I take it at night because it can make me really drowsy. So...I take one medication in the morning and the new medication before I go to bed. We had a combined district meeting (a meeting with our zone and the Mansells) this past week. We were running late to the meeting and I almost forgot my medicine. I popped a pill into my mouth just as we were running out the door. Well...about a half hour into the meeting I started feeling really loopy. I thought back to which medicine I had taken that morning and I realized that I took the wrong medicine!! It was hilarious! I honestly don't remember much of the day let alone much of the meeting. Luckily, Sister Mulford is a sweet and patient companion and took good care of me.

I hope and pray that all is well with all of you. We are so blessed to have the gospel. I know that the love that our Heavenly Father and Savior have for us is very real. I have felt such deep love as I have served. May the Lord bless you this week and may your Valentine's Day be filled with lots of love!

All my love, Sister Hogge

No comments: