Wednesday, November 7, 2007

7 November 2007

Hello!

Sister McEwan and I (and our roommates, Sisters Maxwell and Snelson) just got back from the zoo. We decided that it would be fun to take a trip to the zoo early this afternoon. We had a wonderful time. I was impressed that it was as big as it was and it was FREE which is always a plus. My favorite animals were the tigers and lions and the Madagascar spiders. It's amazing how a simple trip to the zoo can make me so tired! I am exhausted, but hopefully will have some time to rest later today.

Sister McEwan is doing well. She works hard and she is willing to try any techniques or role plays etc. She is wonderful and I enjoy working with her. Working with her has brought back memories of my first transfer. The other night I read my journal entries from those first few months to help me remember what it felt like to be a new missionary. I remember feeling very overwhelmed and inadequate. Sister McEwan feels the same. I want her to feel my love for her and to trust me with any concerns or questions. She really relies on my example. The Lord has really strengthened us as a companionship. I am grateful for this experience.

We had a joyous time celebrating Halloween last P-Day. After getting Sister McEwan settled in we (along with our roommates) ate soup and made carmel apples. We weren't allowed to be outside after 6pm. After discussing some mission rules and investigators, we dressed us with our roommates and visited the senior couples in the apartment complex. We dressed up as elders, fun stuff.

The other night we had a teaching appointment in downtown DC. After the appointment I took her through the monuments, not telling her what she'd be seeing. This is her first time to the east coast. When she saw the Washington Monument, the Capitol and the White House she screamed and just about jumped out of the car. I thought it was so cute. It's fun to see her so excited, not just about the area or the people, but about the work. She loves it!

Sunday was Elder Cottrell's last day in DC before heading back to Utah. He came to the DC 2nd ward with his mom. I got to talk with Sister Cottrell for a while and it turns out that Grandpa Hogge used to be her bishop and stake president, small world. It's always really hard to see excellent missionaries leave, but it's all part of progression.

Sunday night we had a fireside at the VC with the 5 Browns. They each shared their testimonies and played a few piano pieces. I was in heaven! After the fireside we got to talk with them for a while. I think it would be really hard for me to devote my life to performing and touring. I'd much rather settle down and raise a family. I admire them for their strength in the entertainment world.

Later tonight, Lydia, Laura, and Abraham will be performing baptisms for the dead for their first time at the DC temple. They are all doing well. They are studying their scriptures and praying daily. They love their Heavenly Father and their Savior and they desire to put Them first in their lives. My heart is so full of love for them. I am excited for the lives they will live as dedicated members of the church.

Some updates...
Revi - She is doing much better than a week ago. Last week she felt that God was ignoring her prayers and she began doubting if He even existed. Last night she made us dinner and we had a wonderful discussion with her and Lydia. After receiving some wise counsel from her close member friends, Revi has seen great improvement in recognizing the Lord's answers to her prays. When she told us how well she is doing I wanted to cry. My love for Revi has really grown the past few weeks. She wants to do God's will, but she struggles and often complicates things too much. She reminds me a lot of myself. She wants to get baptized and her new baptismal date is December 5th. She still needs to work on her testimony of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. We know that as she stays close to the Lord through sincere prayer, as she continues to read the Book of Mormon, and as we help her have spiritual experiences, she will receive the answers that she is searching for. The Lord is simple and He will answer her simply if she listens. I am excited for the weeks to come. Please keep her in your prayers.

Erica - She is set on being baptized on March 2nd. She knows that we believe it is too dangerous to wait so long, but she has her agency and has made up her mind. She wants to meet with us every week. I love Erica and I know that after all we can do, we must support her and love her.

We are working to find new investigators. With December approaching, we will be mostly confined to the VC. Every sister's area dies during festival. I am absolutely thrilled with all of the "Festival of Lights" preparations. Christmas trees are up in the VC and are being decorated. We're beginning to practice for the Musical event that we do Christmas Eve and Chirstmas Day. The weather is quickly changing and is very, very cold. I love it! You all know how much I love Christmas.

Life is great and I love this work!

All my love, Sister Hogge

No comments: