Thursday, November 22, 2007

22 November 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

It has been a wonderful week. This past Sunday we had stake conference. Elder Wickman was the visiting general authority and it was great to hear from him again. We had met him previously during a zone conference earlier this year. His remarks changed my mission. The basis of his talk was a question,"How can I experience the Atonement in my life daily?" After many beautiful examples from the scriptures and some personal experiences, he explained that we can experience the Atonement daily through charity. We must pray to have Heavenly Father help us to love others as much as He loves us. This is something He is willing to give us, pure love. I am grateful for Elder Wickman's inspired remarks, they have really changed me. Sister Mansell spoke along with President Hammond (temple president) who mentioned that in DC we have two White Houses. In one, lives the President of the United States and in the other, our Savior, Jesus Christ. Bishop Richard Marriott also spoke. We are so blessed with great leadership. It was an edifying meeting because each talk was centered on our Savior.

The elders had a baptism on Sunday and we attended to support. Kyle was baptized. Kyle is currently in the army and stationed in Italy, but had to come back to the US for some possible cancer treatments. He finds out any day if he has brain tumors. I admire him for his faith, courage, and for his willingness to trust in the Lord's will.

Sunday night we had a "Why I Believe" fireside at the VC. The mission organizes a fireside each transfer and asks two recent converts to speak. We asked Lydia if she would share her thoughts and testimony at the fireside. She agreed, a little nervous and hesitant at first, but she was wonderful. She has a beautiful and simple testimony of the restored truths that we now enjoy. I am so happy for her and Brandon. They took us out to dinner again in DC. Another Friday night date. They took us to Rockland's BBQ (I had ribs!) and then on a short tour of downtown. It was beautiful! Lydia is currently working at the Chamber of Commerce directly across from the White House. Lydia and Brandon will be coming to Davis for Christmas and I mentioned that they should take a quick trip to Elk Grove while they're in town. They would be thrilled to meet my wonderful family. I'll keep you posted!

Festival of Lights is just around the corner. The people have been much more receptive lately. The holiday season definitely softens hearts. The lighting of the Christmas lights at the VC will be November 30th with Ambassadors Night. We just received word that the Ambassador from Italy will also be attending that night, how exciting! I LOVE this time of year and it is especially beautiful in Maryland. The colonial style homes and the falling, colorful leaves looks like a Pottery Barn catalog picture. I watched Mr. Krueger's Christmas the other day and I cried through the entire movie! I felt a little embarrassed; it was pretty funny. I love that movie and I love Jimmy Stewart.

Sister McEwan is doing well. We are open and honest with one another. I am grateful for her diligent example to me. I am learning so much. We are finding and teaching many new investigators; it's exciting. She and I are working hard together to become better servants and to make our weaknesses become strengths. It's difficult to train because you see your weaknesses magnified. Sometimes I feel like Nephi in 2 Nephi 4. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. I am grateful for repentance and for the Atonement. I am grateful for how we can be motivated by love; it's the most effective kind of motivation.

Funny story: I have two for this week. We raked leaves for three hours with our roommates this past week. It was wonderful and I mostly wanted to do it because it reminded me of family traditions on Thanksgiving Day and of course because service always makes me feel good. We borrowed some rakes from the senior couples and we also borrowed a leaf blower! It was the kind that you put on your back like a backpack. I put it on and almost fell over! It was hilarious. The sisters then tried to start it up and I almost fell over as they pulled the string thing. We were laughing so hard that we couldn't breathe. Don't worry I have pictures to prove it! The other story is that Sister McEwan's wallet was accidentally thrown into the laundry while it was washing. It was bad! We had pieces of check all over us and the laundry room as we shook each piece of clothing. A blue pen was also thrown in and luckily it only got onto a few items of clothing. I might need some new pieces of underclothing.

I hope that everyone has a beautiful and Happy Thanksgiving. I love you and my heart is especially full this day. We are so blessed. President and Sister Mansell invited us to eat Thanksgiving dinner with them because all of the singles have gone home and are not in town to feed us.

Have a beautiful day.

All my love, Sister Hogge

No comments: