Thursday, November 29, 2007

29 November 2007

Dear family and friends,

It has been a whirlwind of events this past week. During our previous VC training meeting we were admonished to prepare ourselves for this Christmas season at the VC. I took that to heart and have seen the Lord's hand in my life every day. It is a blessing to be a light to the world this Christmas season. The VC is decorated beautifully with the many Christmas trees, lights, nativity scenes, and music, but at the center of it all is the Christus. I'm grateful that He is my focus this Christmas season. As a representative of Jesus Christ my gift to all is testifying that He lives and sharing His gospel. I can celebrate His birth by testifying of Him. It is a blessing and a privilege. I'm grateful to be serving the Lord this Christmas.

We had our Combined District Meeting this week. Sister McEwan and I were asked to give a workshop on how to recognize the promptings of the Spirit for ourselves and for those we teach. I have always found my leaders to be very inspired and they will often ask me to give workshops on the things that I'm struggling with most. So, as always, I felt that I learned the most. We are still the only sister missionaries in our zone. I really enjoy being with the elders because they are light-hearted, carefree, and fun. Funny story: We played jeopardy missionary style for the game of our meeting. One of the categories was companionship unity. Everyone loved this category and in order to answer a question we had to stand. It got to the point where everyone would stand before the question was asked. So, one of the companionship unity questions was "What is your companion's weight?" Sister McEwan was one of the first to stand along with all the elders. Well, the elders all decided they would sit down to let her answer the question. We were all rolling, laughing so hard. Sister McEwan answered the question and told everyone in the meeting how much I weigh. It was pretty funny, but I guess you had to be there.

Ambassador's Night was last night. It was a night I will never forget. We were all dressed in our missionary best and were assigned to different parts of the VC for the night. My assignment was "punch girl". I was encouraged to talk with everyone. Other assignments given were ushers, coat closet, trash, kitchen, etc. I felt pretty special to be serving drinks. hehe. I lost count of how many Ambassadors I met last night. They were all very gracious, lovely people. There were over 20 countries represented. Most of the name tags I read said "His Excellency...". I was having the time of my life! I've decided that I want to be a professional party hopper. I loved making small talk with these beautiful people, but I guess it would get tiring after a while. The lighting of the Christmas lights was so exciting I think I giggled. I love feeling like a kid during Christmas time. Although meeting all of the Ambassadors was wonderful, I think the highlight of my night was meeting President Packer and Elder Oaks and shaking their hands. They made a special trip to the Ambassador's Night. President Packer gave a beautiful speech on the Restoration, plan of salvation, missionary work, families, and Christmas. It was wonderful to listen to him speak to world leaders about the gospel. I will never forget the feelings I felt when they walked into the room. These feelings are the kind that no one can deny, a witness that these are Apostles of Jesus Christ, servants and special witnesses of Him. President Packer was walking slow with a cane and Elder Oaks was looking lively and well. I have always thought that Elder Oaks is so handsome and I love his strong voice...I think he just reminds me of Dad. My heart is full. What a wonderful way to begin the Christmas season.

"This Christmas, mend a quarrel. Seek out a forgotten friend. Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust. Write a letter. Give a soft answer. Encourage youth. Manifest your loyalty in word and deed. Keep a promise. Forgo a grudge. Forgive an enemy. Apologize. Try to understand. Examine your demands on others. Think first of someone else. Be kind. Be gentle. Laugh a little more. Express your gratitude. Welcome a stranger. Gladden the heart of a child. Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth. Speak your love and speak it again. Christmas is a celebration, and there is no celebration that compares with the realization of its true meaning - with the sudden stirring of the heart that has extended itself unselfishly in the things that matter most." - President Hunter, Ensign, Dec. 2002

I hope that we can all apply these things to our lives this Christmas. It is a beautiful time to be living. We are so blessed. I love you all and my thoughts and prayers are with you always.

All my love, Sister Hogge

No comments: