Thursday, August 2, 2007

2 August 2007

Hello!

Happy August! Transfers are this coming week. As always, I would love to stay in Olney, but the Lord knows best. I have come to love the people here so much. They are wonderful and I will miss them dearly if I have to leave. Transfers are this coming Wednesday.

Courtney's baptism was wonderful. I would love to share all of the details, but I recorded my thoughts on a tape the night of her baptism. The baptism was on Sunday night after church and about half of the ward was in attendance. We were so packed that we had to move into the chapel. I was so impressed with the support of the ward. Courtney's conversion has really united the members. It's wonderful to see the influence she has had on the lives of the members. President Mansell came to the baptism as well. We were excited and surprised for his visit. We love him and Sister Mansell.

The baptismal service went well. Courtney's friend Matt Lowe performed the baptism. He is the friend that will be leaving for Milan, Italy soon to serve his mission. He will probably be in the MTC the same time as Joey. The Lowe family along with many, many others have been so supportive of Courtney and her decision to be baptized. It's difficult because she doesn't have much support from her family. She is so strong despite the lack of support. She looked so beautiful all in white. We were all so happy. There were many tears of joy. When Courtney went into the waters my heart was full of peace and I said a silent prayer thanking Heavenly Father for the opportunity of being a part of Courtney's life and for helping her through her process of conversion. I think I was surprised at how much gratitude I felt that day. I surprised her by singing her favorite hymn "I Stand All Amazed" at the end of the service. It was a beautiful, humid, stormy day and I loved every minute of it! During the time that Courtney was getting dry and ready for the remaining portion of the service we had all who attended write notes of encouragement, their testimonies, or their thoughts of Courtney. Sister Lowe helped us compile the notes into a beautiful book that was given to Courtney after the service. She loved it!

After the baptism we made a quick stop at a member's home. We hadn't eaten since breakfast and we were starving! The delicious desserts at the baptism only satisfied my sweet tooth. The members made salmon for us!! I was in heaven. I think I could have died happy, but I know that the Lord has much more work for us to do. ; ) It was a wonderful and happy day!! Courtney will be confirmed this Sunday by Matt Lowe. Courtney and I will be friends forever.

At the V.C. yesterday just as we were leaving, a family from the Baltimore mission came with a friend and two sister missionaries, and were asking for me. I had given this family a tour three months ago and since then they had all been baptized! It was so wonderful to see them. I was so happy for all of them. We have no idea the impact we have on the lives that come into the V.C. I have been blessed to see some of the fruits of my labors and I am grateful. The family told me that they had brought a friend who would be baptized soon and that they were bringing another friend in three weeks. Hopefully I will be able to give them another tour when they visit again. Missions are all about the people!!

By the way, I attended the temple again a week ago. It was wonderful and beautiful. We are so blessed to be serving in the shadow of the house of the Lord. Also, two Sundays ago Sister Guimaraes and I taught sharing time in Primary. It was so much fun and it wore me out! We got all of the children excited about missionary work. We made them missionary tags and gave them missionary kits with pass-a-long cards for their friends. They loved it! We hope to keep the ward excited about missionary work.

I am loving the work and I am learning the importance of always enjoying the ride. I am also learning how to live simply and to be light-hearted. I hope that the Lord will continue to mold and shape me into the person he knows that I can be. I hope to be more diligent and faithful. I know that the Lord is always with me and I know that our Heavenly Father loves all of his children.

With Love, Sister Hogge

No comments: