Thursday, October 18, 2007

18 October 2007

Dearest family and friends,

First of all, I think that my P-Day has changed to Thursdays for the next two weeks or until the end of the transfer. But then, they change our P-Days often, so I'm not sure. If you want to be sure to reach me any certain week, always write emails before Wednesday. I have learned to be very flexible especially as a VC sister. Sometimes, we're needed else where on our P-Days, all part of doing the Lord's work and I'm grateful that He is teaching me how to be flexible and "easy to be entreated".

This last week was wonderful. Lydia was baptized on Thursday and Laura was baptized on Saturday. Both received the gift of the Holy Ghost on Sunday. Both baptisms were beautiful. Lydia asked Sister Baxter and me to speak at her baptism, what a privilege! Laura asked me to sing at her baptism. They are both choice and elect daughters of our Heavenly Father. They will build the kingdon with their future families. I feel very close to both of them and I'm sure I knew them before. They are both extremely happy and at peace with themselves.
After the baptisms I felt light and happy. I have never felt such peace with myself. I know that this is joy. Simple, pure joy. It's difficult to express the way I feel. I know that there is nothing in our existence that brings greater joy that the gospel.

Abraham and Kate are doing well. Kate is solid even though she is struggling with an overload amount of work. After working with all of these wonderful law students I have decided that law is not for me. Even though I was never seriously thinking about attending law school, it was a thought at one brief time in my life. Although I am so focused on the work as a missionary I find that the Lord helps His servants know what He would have them do with their time on earth to be examples to the world and to build the kingdom. Besides being a wife and mother I still haven't quite figured it out, but I will. Abraham is always looking for opportunities to serve and share the gospel. He will make a wonderful full-time missionary.

Revi is wonderful! We gave her a baptismal date which gave her a reality check and scared her a bit, but she will be fine. She knows that it is true. She especially has a testimony of the priesthood. Being a law student she over analyzes everything and doesn't allow the Spirit to work in her heart effectively. Heavenly Father loves all of His children and will find ways to speak to each of us individually. He knows how to communicate best with us. Within the next week we will try to help her recognize that she has already received many confirmations and answers to her prayers. It's exciting to teach others how to recognize the Spirit. I find that I am learning to better recognize the Spirit in my own life.

Teresa is not doing so well. She told us that she wanted to be baptized in December and we told her that the Lord would have her be baptized as soon as possible. Without disclosing many personal details, she called us the other day to tell us that she wasn't ready to be baptize and didn't want to meet with us anymore. However, she also told us that she will still continue to attend church, read her Book of Mormon, and pray. Very sad, but the Lord has His ways. We love her and will continue to love and support her.

We had CDM, combined district meeting, this last week. It was amazing! We have the best zone leaders in the world! I have recently been struggling of how I can become a better servant of the Lord and how I can use my time as a missionary to be effective. When I was listening to the many workshops given I realized that I must come to know my Savior. I must study Him, His life, His teachings, and BECOME like Him. The attribute that I am currently working on to become more like Him is meekness. It is definitely a life long process to become like my Savior, but I know that as I try I will find peace and joy.

Funny story: During CDM Elder Cottrell devised an activity that included breaking boards. We each had a long and thin board with which we had to write some small things that we'd like to work on. We were then given ties to tie around our heads like Karate Kid. Sister Baxter and I are the only sisters in our zone. We each took turns to break our board (symbolizing breaking bad habits) with our hands. It was hilarious! We were chosen to be first, of course. Sister Baxter went before me and couldn't break the board if her life depended on it. She tried about 15 times until her hand was bruised. She doesn't have an ounce of aggression in her body. I was up next and very nervous. Elder Cottrell gave me some pointers so I wouldn't hurt myself. I was terrified, not only of hurting my hand, but of looking like a fool. To my surprise I broke the board with the first try! I think for a whole five minutes all the elders in the zone thought I was the coolest sister in the mission, that is until Sister Baxter tried one last time and broke hers too. So fun!

Anyway, life is wonderful, my heart is full, and I hope all is well with you. I love you and my prayers are always with you.

With Love, Sister Hogge

No comments: