Wednesday, September 26, 2007

26 September 2007

Dearest family and friends,

I have been thinking about Joey throughout the week. I am excited for him to enter the MTC. He will love it and he will grow closer to his Heavenly Father and his Savior. It will be wonderful to write a missionary while I'm serving. Those are often the best letters. My thoughts and prayers are with him and the rest of the family, especially mom and dad. I remember how bittersweet the farewell was at the MTC. Thank heavens I know I will be with my family forever. It makes 1 1/2 years of complete service to the Lord much easier to bear.

Abraham was baptized this past Sunday! It was a miracle that he was baptized so soon. After his car accident last week, he got sick and had to go to the hospital. Satan was determined to keep him from the waters of baptism and from making a covenant with our Heavenly Father, but Abraham was persistent. The day he was released from the hospital he called us and told us he still wanted to be baptized Sunday. Althought he knows that Satan's power is real, God is more powerful. His simple faith is inspiring. He is a wonderful example to Sister Baxter and me. The baptismal service was simple and beautiful. He will be confirmed this Sunday and will receive the priesthood. I love this work!

This past week we went to the temple with the VC sisters and to my surprise Sister Niyi from my previous area Olney, came to our session with the new Olney sisters. We had been trying to get her to come back to the temple for months! She hadn't been to the temple in over a year. When I greeted her into the Celestial room my heart filled with so much joy. I love the blessings of the temple. Sister Baxter and I plan to do initiatories today. We are so blessed to be so close to the House of the Lord.

All of our investigators are doing well.

Teresa - She is still planning to be baptized on Oct. 14th and is nervous, but also excited to make a covenant with God and to receive the precious gift of the Holy Ghost.

Laura - She is scheduled to be baptized Oct. 13th. She has fallen in love with MoTab. We have a new exhibit at the VC about the Mormon Tabernale Choir. We are going to the bookstore today before her lesson to help her pick out some MoTab CD's. I love the effect music has on the soul.

Lydia - Brandon (Lydia's boyfriend) and Lydia took us to the Cheesecake Factory in DC for Sister Baxter's birthday on Monday. What a treat! It was absolutely delicious! We are so spoiled! She is doing well and is excited for her trip to SLC for conference. Sister Baxter hopes to have her Dad meet Lydia while she is in town. Lydia will be baptized Oct. 11th. We love her and I always feel a special connection with her.

Revi - She has found a new best friend...Kate! They are exactly alike and have the same conversion story. Revi made us dinner last night and we have been teaching her with Kate, which is wonderful for Kate's progression. Kate is amazing and she had really helped Revi with her concerns. Revi's boyfriend, Adam (who is also a member), will be coming into town during general conference. We are excited to meet him.

We have a cell phone! I never thought I would have a cell phone as a missionary! It is wonderful and it helps the work move forward. People can reach us at any time and we have a better connection with the members and our investigators. It has take some time to get used to a cell phone again.

I love the people of DC. I am learning that my capacity to love increases with more opportunity to love. My heart is continually being expanded.

Funny story: I got my first ticket! It was a parking ticket while we were teaching in DC. Our lesson went longer than we expected. We are grateful that it's a very inexpensive ticket. I started jump roping for my exercise in the mornings and I couldn't walk for days...pretty funny. I'm so out of shape, but I haven't gained a pound!

I am happy and loving life as a servant of the Lord. I hope all is well with you. I love my Savior and I'm grateful for his perfect example.

With Love, Sister Hogge

No comments: