Hello and Happy 4th of July from the Nation's Capitol!
I forgot that the libraries would be closed on the 4th...so I get to email today. 4th of July was much like any other day. We wanted to go to the city, but we were tired from the events of the week and didn't want to deal with all of the people!... maybe next year. We had dinner with a family from the ward and it was delicious! It poured and we tracted. It was fun. We heard fireworks at night. Pretty normal day.
On Sunday a man walked into church interested in learning about the Mormons. He had had friends who were members growing up and already knew much about our church. He attended all three hours. We gave him our phone number. He didn't want to make an appointment or give us his personal information, but we pray that he will come back to church or contact us. We think he will. I was especially impressed by the fellowshipping he received from the members of the ward. I love the Olney 1st ward. I am learning how to be a better member from their examples. Gospel Essentials was amazing!! We had three investigators to church, one being a friend of a member, Courtney, and our new friend who walked into church. The lesson was on the priesthood. It was a powerful lesson!! My testimony of the priesthood was strengthened. One of the member families attending the class was the family that just experience their father/husband having a heart attack. The mom testified that although her son had just received the Melchizedek Priesthood, his blessing for his father (just after he had had the heart attack) was just as valid and powerful as if the prophet were blessing him. I am grateful that the men in my family have always honored their priesthood. I know that the priesthood had to be restored by John the Baptist and Peter, James, and John, because they were the last to hold it while on the earth. My prayer is that my husband will always honor his priesthood and realize the profound privilege it is to hold the power of God.
Later Sunday night we went to the mission home with Courtney for a FHE with President and Sister Mansell. I love them!! They are wonderful! They have so much love for us. We also had Combined District Meeting (CDM) with them on Tuesday. It was a powerful CDM. The assistants gave a workshop "Go hard or go home"! It was great! I was also asked to give a workshop on resolving concerns. I was sooo nervous! I have taught many gospel related classes and yet I was terrified to teach 30 missionaries. I was grateful for the experience and of course I learned more than any missionary being taught. I am learning the importance of centering my prayers, studies, and love around my investigators. I think that the Lord especially wanted me to learn what I could do to help Courtney with her concerns. I am learning how important it is to love those you teach. As a representative of Jesus Christ I am called to say and do what He would say and do. (read "My Mission Commission" by Bruce R. McConkie, I love it!) Courtney is doing well. We are praying to know what the Lord would have us do. He will help us and her. Keep praying for her! She will be baptized.
Tuesday night was the musical fireside and it went well. We had a full crowd and it was a wonderful, spiritual experience. President Mansell spoke at the end of the fireside and the Spirit was sweet. I sang "Joseph Smith's First Prayer" to the tune "Homeward Bound". My friend Sister Maxwell (another VC sister) wrote a beautiful piano arrangement and it went well. She is going to give me a copy of the arrangement. I love music and I am so grateful that I can use music throughout my mission. Music brings the Spirit and the Spirit converts!
I love this work and I am loving how the Lord is stretching me. I can feel His love and guidance every day. I desire to be purified and sanctified (Helaman 3:35). I know that this is the Lord's work and that He is personally involved. I love you all so much. I feel so blessed to be a missionary.
With Love, Sister Hogge
Thursday, July 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment