Dearest family and friends,
Hello from Olney! Transfers have come and gone. I am still serving in Olney, I am still with Sister Guimaraes and I am still driving our beautiful truck, Victoria. I am glad that I am staying. I LOVE my area. They Lord is blessing me.
Much has happened... President and Sister Price are moving today and President and Sister Mansell will be here tomorrow!! I have already briefly corresponded with President Mansell through email. I am the chairman of the upcoming missionary musical fireside for this coming Tuesday. I have asked President Mansell to speak at the end of the program and he was delighted and excited to do so. He seems wonderful and I am excited for the new changes and spirit he will bring to the mission. The fireside has been fun to plan. I love having so many opportunities to use my talents. I will be singing "Joseph Smith's First Prayer" to the tune of "Homeward Bound". It should be lovely. I will let you know how it goes.
This past week we had the Washington DC Mormon Choir perform at the VC. Much of the music performed was music I performed while in the many choirs I have participated in. It brought back many wonderful memories and even made me slightly trunky. I love music and I miss performing. The choir had a guest performer and recent convert perform two songs. You may recognize his name, Sam Warren. He was a member of the Drifters. He is a wonderful man. I was able to chat with him for a while. What a treat! During the fireside I also met one of Joey's friends, Ken. He lived in the same hall as Joey at BYU.
The work is going well in Olney. We found a family to teach! We found them tracting and they are very prepared. We taught them this last Sunday. It was wonderful. They are a younger couple with four children. The father was intrigued by Joseph Smith's story and about the priesthood. He is a good father and desires the best for his small, growing family. We stopped by again the other day and gave a Book of Mormon children's book to the eldest daughter. She loved it and we immediately began reading it with her. We also helped the sweet young mother with folding her laundry. Who would have thought I would ever enjoy doing laundry! I guess all those years of helping Mom have paid off. They will come to church on Sunday and they will be baptized!! (language of faith) We have been praying for a family to teach. I love this work!
Courtney was supposed to be baptized on Sunday, but we had to move the date back into July. She is READY to be baptized, but has a hard family situation. She has been meeting us at the VC. She loves the temple and the VC. She is excited for the time that she will be able to serve a mission and be married in the temple. I love her and I am praying for the Lord to strengthen her in her righteous decision to be baptized. We are praying to know what the Lord would have us do.
Dad, I am so grateful for your advice. This is the Lord's work, not Sister Hogge's work. I am an instrument for the Lord to fulfill his purposes in Washington DC. I know that this is his work and that he leads and guides his missionaries, only if we are willing to listen. I am learning to let go of my pride and to love. I need the Lord's help. I cannot do any of his work alone and I cannot be the person he needs me to be without his help. I always pray for strength and I am learning the importance of relying on the Lord. It feels good to rely on him for strength and peace.
Well, I would have written sooner, but many things have happened. When I was trying to email you last night at the VC I hit my head on a cabinet. It hurt, but it was also pretty funny and I felt silly. I've been hitting my head on many things lately. I love you and I love being a missionary.
Love, Sister Hogge
Friday, June 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment