Dearest friends and family,
Transfers have come and gone and I am still in the DC 2nd singles ward with Sister McEwan, which I am completely thrilled about. Although the holiday season is very slow in a singles ward because everyone goes home, I'm glad to be with people I love so dearly for at least another six weeks. This will make for a total of 6 months in the area by the time this coming transfer is over. I am grateful.
Life has been wonderful. I am really enjoying Festival of Lights and I'm grateful for all the many oppotunities that Heavenly Father has given me to share my love for Christmas with so many of His children. For example, just last night I was able to speak with a Jewish woman for an hour about her faith and about our faith. She is an open-minded woman. I explained to her about the plan of salvation and she mentioned that it seems a little overwhelming to be able to be good enough to reach the Celestial Kingdom...after which I testified of a need for a Savior. I told her that because of Jesus Christ we can change, we can repent, and apply the power of the Atonement to become more like our Heavenly Father and our Savior. I was so grateful for the opportunity to testify of Jesus Christ and what He means to me to someone that doesn't even believe in Him. It was a beautiful experience. She didn't accept the missionaries, but she accepted to read a copy of the Family Proclamation that I gave to her at the end of our conversation. God loves all of His children and has given me the responsibility of telling His children about His merciful plan of happiness. Hearts are truly softened during this special time of year.
There are thousands of people that come through the VC and it can be quite overwhelming to know who to talk to. One of the sisters suggested looking into their eyes and talking to the ones that make eye contact, they will listen. Well, I put it to the test and it works! I talked to a family who comes to Festival every year and hadn't received the missionaries yet. The father had met with missionaries many years ago in El Salvador. As I talked with this beautiful family, I knew that I had known them before. They accepted a Mr. Krueger's Christmas DVD along with the missionaries. I'm so grateful for the miracles that Heavenly Father is blessing us with. We as VC sisters have learned that as we work in unity that we are greatly blessed and that we are blessing the lives of all that come into the VC. Lately I have been thinking about how it must feel to walk into the VC with all of the beautiful decorations, the smiling sisters, the music, and the Spirit. It must be wonderfully overwhelming for those who are not used to such feelings and who are so much a part of the world. I feel privileged to be a part of Fesitval of Lights. I am so happy.
Our area is doing well. We are never there, but I know that the Lord is blessing the people that we will be able to contact in January. Revi has a new love for temples and has been following up on all of the new temples being built. She has actually gone as far as getting tickets to go to the Rexburg Temple Open House with her boyfriend, Adam. They will fly into Utah, visit Temple Square and then drive to Rexburg. She is wonderful and just needs to get baptized. Please keep her in your prayers. I am excited that she will be able to see Rexburg, a town with many of my fond memories and a town I love. I'm a little jealous.
Funny story: The singles ward has their Christmas dinner and movie this past week. The received special permission from Elder Child to watch the movie on the IMAX theater at the VC after the Festival festivities. We, the missionaries in the ward, also received permission to watch the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life". Never in my life did I think that the first time I would watch that movie would be on my mission. For the first 30 minutes of the film I had never felt so awkward in my life! It was hilarious! Never in my life did I think that I would be awkward watching such an old-fashioned movie. I loved it after a while, but there were a few risque scenes...haha. You all probably would have laughed if you saw me. I'm such a missionary.
Well, I'm healthy, happy, and I'm loving this Christmas season. May the Lord continue to bless you this wonderful time of year.
All my love, Sister Hogge
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment